Boris Johnson hopes to gain support from City figures who want to ‘Stop Corbyn’

Mr Johnson has emerged as the leading candidate since Theresa May announced her resignation and gained 114 votes in the first round of voting last Thursday. According to The Times, Mr Johnson will hold a private breakfast on Tuesday with business leaders as he tries to garner crucial support for his leadership bid while warning of a potential Jeremy Corbyn Government. The former Foreign Secretary was challenged at his official launch last week about his infamous “f*** business” comment but has insisted that he is the man to take the leadership of the party.

One City figure who is attending the breakfast spoke of his fear over Mr Corbyn and insisted that Mr Johnson is the best person to stop the Labour leader from entering Number 10.

Speaking to The Times, the person said: “Many business leaders have concluded, like many Tory MPs, that Johnson is the best bet to stop Corbyn so have reconciled themselves to him.”

The Conservative campaign headquarters spent just £160,000 for the European Parliamentary elections, while the donations have also dried up under Mrs May.

Speaking of the lack of funding, an ally of the Tory leadership frontrunner insisted that Mr Johnson is “acutely aware” of the need to replenish Conservative party coffers in case he was forced into an early election.

They added: “The hope would be that once the new PM is in the post and we are staring down the barrel of a Marxist government those coffers fill up again quickly.”

Mr Johnson has continually spoken of himself as not only the man to take the UK out of the Eu by October 31, with or without a deal but also the man to put Nigel Farage “back in his box”.

Pledging her support from Mr Johnson, Tory MP, Priti Patel, said: “I am backing Back Boris because Boris backs Britain.

“That means getting Britain out of the EU, energising our Country around the Conservative values we share, and securing a better future for Britain.”

Despite being the frontrunner, Mr Johnson will be challenged by Michael Gove and Jeremy Hunt in the race to become the next Prime Minister.

Although Mr Johnson has agreed to take place in the BBC debate on Tuesday, the Tory frontrunner has decided not to participate in the Channel 4 debate on Sunday night.

In light of that decision, Mr Johnson has been attacked by his rivals while Channel 4 has insisted that it will leave his podium on the stage.

Attacking Mr Johnson, Dominic Raab said: “If you can’t take the heat of the TV studios what chance of taking the heat of the negotiating chamber in Brussels?”

Source: Read Full Article