The Duke of Edinburgh has received annuity payments from the government since 1992, according to the Times. The 98-year-old officially retired from his royal duties in August 2017. A palace source said the occasional duties he still carries out is covered by the annuity, amid the palace accounts being released yesterday.
The source said: “In recent years it has not been sufficient to meet the cost of this private office – and that is not surprising, having been fixed for 27 years.”
The Privy Purse, which is the Queen’s private spending, has met the shortfall between the annuity and the expenditure of the Duke’s office, the source added.
They said: “He still has a private secretary, and correspondence, and it is worth remembering that although the duke has retired from public official duties, his non-public duties involve correspondence with over 750 patronages and organisations.”
Last week, the prince carried out an engagement at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate, in Norfolk.
The Royal Family posted a picture on Twitter on Friday that was captioned: “Today The Duke received General Sir Nicholas Carter (L) who is relinquishing his appointment as Colonel Commandant of @RiflesRegiment and General Patrick Sanders (R) who will succeed him.”
Prince Philip also celebrated his 98th birthday last Thursday.
There was a 41-gun salute to mark the occasion but he spent the day privately with his family.
Since retiring from public duties, Philip is said to spend most of his time at Sandringham and Windsor Castle.
His free schedule means he has plenty of time to read, paint and catch up with old friends.
He also goes on regular rides in his horse-drawn carriage around the Sandringham Estate
Before his appearance at Wood Farm, the duke was last seen in public at Lady Gabriella Windsor’s wedding at St George’s Chapel, in Windsor, on May 18.
The royal accounts also revealed the Royal Family cost taxpayers £67m during the last year, which is a 41 percent increase on the previous financial year.
Source: Read Full Article