President Donald Trump has tweeted to say he and First Lady Melania have tested positive for coronavirus.
‘We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!’ he said.
It comes following news that Trump’s close aide Hope Hicks contracted the virus after travelling with the president on Air Force One.
Ms Hicks, 31, who serves as a counsellor to the president, reportedly tested positive for the disease on Thursday, the day after she travelled with the president to a rally in Ohio.
Trump is 74 years old, putting him at higher risk of serious complications from the virus.
A statement from the White House doctor said both the president and first lady are ‘well at this time’ but did not say if either have symptoms.
Earlier on Thursday Trump had told Fox News Hicks had tested positive adding: ‘Whether we quarantine or whether we have it, I don’t know.
‘I just went for a test and we’ll see what happens.’
He later tweeted to confirm he and Melania were in quarantine, writing: ‘Hope Hicks, who has been working so hard without even taking a small break, has just tested positive for Covid 19. Terrible! The First Lady and I are waiting for our test results. In the meantime, we will begin our quarantine process!’
The positive test means the president will have to scrap Friday’s plans for a fundraiser at his Washington, D.C., hotel and a political rally in Sanford, Florida.
Several world leaders have been struck down with the disease, including Prime Minister Boris Johnson who spent two nights in intensive care as he battled the virus.
This is a breaking story. More to follow
Source: Read Full Article