Donald Trump has “mild symptoms” after contracting coronavirus, the White House has said.
The US president and his wife Melania are self-isolating after testing positive for COVID-19, just one month before the US election.
A White House official told NBC News that Mr Trump is experiencing “mild symptoms” and is working from his residence.
The official insisted it is “business as usual” for the president and revealed discussions are taking place about whether he will address the American public later today.
Live updates on coronavirus from US, UK and around world
The Trumps’ 14-year-old son Barron has tested negative for the virus and “all precautions are being taken to ensure he’s kept safe and healthy”, the first lady’s chief of staff Stephanie Grisham told NBC News.
The president confirmed on Twitter that he and Mrs Trump had been diagnosed with COVID-19, saying: “We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”
Messages of support were offered from world leaders and Mr Trump’s election rival Joe Biden, who said he was sending his thoughts to the couple “for a swift recovery”.
“We will continue to pray for the health and safety of the president and his family,” Mr Biden said.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who spent time in intensive care with COVID-19 in April, said: “I think we all want to send our best wishes to the president and the first lady.
“I’m sure that they’ll both stage a very strong recovery.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin also expressed his “sincere support” to Mr and Mrs Trump “in this difficult moment,” according to the Kremlin.
It said Mr Putin sent a message to the US president, which read: “I hope that your inherent vitality, good spirits and optimism will help you cope with the dangerous virus.”
Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she hoped Mr Trump’s diagnosis might be a “learning experience” about the virus and warned against “brazen” behaviour that allowed “something like this to happen”.
“Let us all pray for the president’s health,” she told MSNBC. “This is tragic, it is very sad.”
Mr Trump is 74 years old and his health records earlier this year showed he is categorised as obese, putting him at higher risk of serious complications from the virus.
He is now expected to self-isolate for two weeks while facing treatment for the disease.
Mr Trump’s physician Sean Conley said the president and first lady would remain at the White House during their period of isolation.
He said: “Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments.”
Writing on Twitter, Mrs Trump said: “As too many Americans have done this year, (the president) & I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19.
“We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements. Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.”
Before testing positive for COVID-19, Mr Trump had said he and his wife were self-isolating after Hope Hicks, one of his top aides, had contracted the virus.
Ms Hicks, who serves as a counsellor to the president, is the closest aide to Mr Trump to test positive for coronavirus so far.
She had travelled with the president several times over the last week, including on presidential helicopter Marine One, and on Air Force One to Tuesday night’s first presidential debate.
US Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Mr Trump’s daughter Ivanka and his son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner have all tested negative for the virus since the president’s diagnosis.
Mr Trump’s positive test come as the virus continues to spread at an alarming rate in the US, even as the president has tried to downplay the threat of the disease.
More than 200,000 people have died in the US after contracting COVID-19 and more than seven million people in the country have been infected with the disease.
But Mr Trump has continued to hold campaign rallies which have drawn thousands of supporters during the pandemic.
:: Subscribe to Divided States on Apple podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Spreaker
His diagnosis now throws into question the nature of the rest of the campaign, including the remaining two presidential debates.
The next debate is scheduled for 15 October in Miami.
Two days before testing positive, during the first debate, Mr Trump belittled his Democratic challenger Joe Biden for frequently wearing masks and not having campaign rallies that matched his own in size.
The president continued to shake hands with visitors despite public health officials warning against it and also initially resisted being tested. Mr Trump also refused to wear a mask in public under almost all circumstances.
Source: Read Full Article