Meghan and Harry sue over 'drone' photos of baby son Archie at their home

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have filed a lawsuit against photographers in Los Angeles after drones were allegedly used to take pictures of their son Archie in the back garden of their home.

The couple is alleging their privacy was breached by unnamed photographers, citing California laws that could allow them to take action against anyone trying to sell the photos until the person who took them can be identified.

In the complaint, which was filed on Thursday, Harry and Meghan said they were not seeking special treatment and expected to be followed by the media when in public, but that they drew the line at photographers invading the privacy of their home.

The pair claim in the lawsuit that they are constantly followed by paparazzi, who have tracked them down to their LA home, flying helicopters overhead and cutting holes in their security fences.

They say they moved to Canada at the beginning of the year and enjoyed six weeks undisturbed before their location was published by the Daily Mail. The same thing happened shortly after moving to a gated community in LA, resulting in paparazzi interest with drones flying as low as 20ft over their home.

Helicopters hovered over the house as early as 5.30am and as late as 7pm, disturbing neighbours and waking up baby Archie, who is 14 months old.

The family tried to ignore these but a recent incident was described as having ‘crossed a red line for any parent’.

The complaint filed to court said the couple had ‘done everything in their power to stay out of the limelight’, with the exception of their work, which they admitted was newsworthy.

But is said the photos at issue ‘are not news.. they are harassment’.

LA County Superior Court has confirmed to Sky News that the lawsuit has been filed and given a case number.

A statement from the couple’s lawyer, Michael Kump, said: ‘Every individual and family member in California is guaranteed by law the right to privacy in their home. No drones, helicopters or telephoto lenses can take away that right.

‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are filing this lawsuit to protect their young son’s right to privacy in their home without intrusion by photographers, and to uncover and stop those who seek to profit from these illegal actions.’

Meghan and Harry stepped down from royal life in Janaury, saying they wanted to protect Archie and become financially independent.

This is the latest example of legal action the pair have taken against what they have previously described as ‘invasive tabloid media’ as they carve a new path away from the monarchy.

In a separate case against the publisher of the Mail on Sunday and Mail Online, Meghan is suing for breach of privacy and copyright infringement. The publisher denies the claims.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article