Pilots Who Landed Boeing 737 in Waters Off Hawaii Are Rescued

Two pilots forced to land a Boeing 737 cargo plane in the ocean off Hawaii early on Friday morning were rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard, according to the federal officials.

The pilots reported having engine trouble soon after they embarked on a 33-minute flight from Honolulu to Kahului Airport, a regional airport on the island of Maui, the authorities said.

The pilots were trying to return to Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu when they were forced to make the emergency landing off the coast at about 1:30 a.m. local time, Crystal Essiaw, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said in an email.

The U.S. Coast Guard sent a helicopter, a rescue plane, a cutter and a small boat to search for the pilots. At 2:30 a.m., the helicopter spotted the debris and the two pilots in the water.

The pilots, who were not identified, were rescued by the Coast Guard and the Honolulu Fire Department.

Both pilots were in “good condition” and one of the pilots was sent to a hospital, Lt. Cmdr. Karin Evelyn, a spokeswoman for the Coast Guard, said in an email.

“The plane debris remains,” she said. “The U.S.C.G. will evaluate the pollution at first light.”

Ms. Essiaw said the F.A.A. and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the incident.

In a statement, Boeing said it was monitoring the reports of the emergency landing.

“We are in contact with the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board and are working to gather more information,” the company said.

The aircraft, a 737-200, is just over 100 feet in length and can be converted into a passenger plane that can fit up to 130 people, according to Boeing’s description of the plane.

The exact make of the aircraft was not immediately clear, but it did not appear to be the troubled 737 Max.

Flightradar24, a flight-tracking website, listed the flight, Transair 810, as being carried out aboard a Boeing 737-200, a much older 737 variant.

The 737 Max plane had been banned worldwide for nearly two years after two fatal crashes in 2018 and 2019. The Max started flying passengers again late last year and has been used to carry out thousands of flights without any major incident.

Niraj Chokshi contributed reporting.

Source: Read Full Article