We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The service was the brainchild of BT chief executive Philip Jansen, who suggested the emergency number be used to allow the vulnerable to have their journeys tracked and an alert triggered if they do not reach home in time.
A Home Office spokesman said: “We have received the letter and will respond in due course.
“As set out in our strategy earlier this year, we need a whole of society approach to tackling Violence against Women and Girls and welcome joint working between the private sector and Government.”
Mrs Patel said: “This new phone line is exactly the kind of innovative scheme which would be good to get going as soon as we can. I’m now looking at it with my team and liaising with BT.”
The telecommunications provider has run the 999 emergency number for 84 years.
The new “walk me home” service could be in operation by Christmas, potentially with the number 888 and the ability to summon police.
Mr Jansen said the idea came because he was filled with “outrage and disgust” after the murders of Ms Everard and Sabina Nessa.
He said: “There is a growing anger and desperation to take action. As CEO of BT, I am in a position to do something practical. I have been thinking about how we can use technology to tackle the problem.
“So, together with my BT colleagues, I have come up with something that I believe can help.”
He said “similar GPS technology to Uber and Google Maps” could allow a phone user to opt in to a “remote tracking mechanism”.
He added: “When activated it would automatically trigger an alert if they didn’t reach their destination within the expected time.
“The user’s named emergency contacts – usually family and friends – could then raise the alarm with the police if they could not establish the user’s whereabouts and safety.
“No one would be missing for hours, their whereabouts unknown. It would also allow a user to send an instant alert to the police, with just one touch.
“My colleagues at BT are now working on the technology and practicalities.”
Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens used his police issued handcuffs and warrant card to stage a fake arrest so he could kidnap 33-year-old Ms Everard before he raped and murdered her.
Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick on Friday announced Baroness Casey of Blackstock will lead the review of culture and standards at the Metropolitan Police in the wake of the murder.
Dame Cressida said it was an “important step in our journey to rebuild public trust” which would scrutinise the force’s vetting, recruitment, leadership, training and “all manner of processes to see how they reinforce the best possible standards”.
What is happening where you live? Find out by adding your postcode or visit InYourArea
Source: Read Full Article