Boy, 15, stabbed to death 'on way to fish and chip shop'

Tributes have been paid to a 15-year-old boy who was stabbed to death on his way to a London fish and chip shop.

Romario Opia became the third teenager to be stabbed to death in a week after clashing with another teenager in a long-running row, a family friend said.

The 15-year-old died at the scene in Islington, north London, at around 5.30pm.

Carly Forrest, a friend of Romario’s family, paid tribute to the teenager, telling the Daily Mail: ‘He was beautiful, fun, loving. He was always on his bike.

‘I just wish I could take the pain away from his mum. I feel sick to my stomach.’

She said he was attacked on his way to a fish and chip shop, adding: ‘Apparently, there was an altercation and he got stabbed in the chest. Just like that. I’m told the boy came out of his house and stabbed him and ran back in his house.’

Mr Forrest said that his mum ran to the scene, in Holland Walk, but it was ‘too late by the time she got there’ and said: ‘Police wouldn’t allow her to go near his body.’


One boy, aged 16, was arrested on suspicion of affray but has been released with no further action, Met Police said last night.

Romario, who is understood to have attended Beacon High School in Holloway, is the third teenager to be stabbed to death in the UK in a week.

It comes after Anas Mezenner, 17, died after a stabbing in Haringey last week and Keon Lincoln, 15, was shot and stabbed in Birmingham on Thursday.

Speaking after the Islington stabbing, Chief Superintendent Raj Kohli, commander of the Central North unit, said: ‘A young person’s life has been taken and our thoughts are with his family and friends who have lost someone very special to them.

‘I know our community will be shocked and upset by this incident. Our officers share your sadness, and we have a team dedicated to tracking down those who committed this.

‘Detectives from our specialist crime command will be making extensive inquiries and I would ask anyone who does know something to come forward and share that information.’

Detective Chief Inspector Neil John, leading the investigation, added: ‘My officers and I are committed to finding those responsible and bringing them to justice.

‘There are people out there who know what happened last night, and I want them to come forward.’

He urged anyone with mobile phone footage of the incident to share it with the police.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] 

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article