The owner of Britain’s ‘most hit home’ wants heavy lorries banned from his village after his cottage was struck for the eighth time in a year.
Former detective Mark Kilbey, 57, says he lives in constant fear of trucks smashing into his Grade II-listed home on a sharp corner.
The latest crash was just three hours after workmen had finished repairing damage from the previous collision into the 16th-Century cottage.
Mark, who lives in the village of Wingham, Kent, said: ‘The builders finished at 5pm and the house was struck again at 8.30pm. It’s a new record.
‘I jokingly told the builders to leave the ladders at the side of the house because they’d be back in a few weeks. It turns out it was only a few hours. It took the biscuit.
‘I bought the house in 2015 knowing it had been hit before, but I had no idea it would become this bad. I reckon it’s been hit at least 20 times.’
Insurance companies representing the lorry companies have forked out around £60,000 in house repair costs in five years, according to the former Metropolitan Police investigator.
Mark says the only way to prevent future incidents is to force the biggest lorries to take alternative routes.
‘I’m not querying the job that lorry drivers have to do, they are following their Sat Nav,’ he said.
‘What I am saying is they don’t need to be turning in a road they don’t fit in. There are other routes they could use.
‘My home has been dubbed the most-hit house in the country and I challenge anyone to find one which has suffered like mine. I expected to be living in a rural village, not an industrial park.’
Mark has fixed large red and yellow hazard signs to the property, despite its heritage classification.
The former Scotland Yard officer has had numerous ‘fruitless’ discussions with local authorities including Kent County Council, Dover District Council and the parish council.
‘I’ve got nowhere with them. They just say they are monitoring the situation, but I think they just consider my property is expendable,’ he added.
‘If it happened once, you would say that it was an incompetent driver, but if it happens 20 times and no action is taken you just think people don’t care.
‘The bottom line is that I don’t really matter in the eyes of those who are responsible for my safety. They are completely negligent.’
Mark, who lives in the cottage with his partner Sally Passmore, predicts a child or elderly person will likely be killed by lorries if they are not banned from the lane.
‘There’s a primary school behind my house. These lorries have to go up the pavement when they turn. It’s a horrible thought, but an elderly person or a child is going to be injured one of these days. It’s definitely going to happen,’ he said.
‘But frankly I don’t even think that will prompt them to take action, because they fundamentally don’t care.’
Police are prosecuting the latest lorry driver to smash into the home, in addition to handing him three points and a £100-on-the spot fine on Monday.
A Kent County Council spokesperson said: ‘We very much sympathise with Mr Kilbey but unfortunately this is difficult for KCC to resolve as a highways authority.
‘In 2018, KCC looked to identify the destinations of the offending vehicles and the HGVs involved were not just driving through the village, these are vehicles making legitimate deliveries to or collections from local businesses.
‘While the majority of HGVs using this junction do so without incident, we acknowledge that the errant few are misjudging the turning and causing damage to property and distress to residents.
‘There is no possibility of altering the road layout and we have discussed with businesses about re-routing their vehicles where possible.
‘The businesses all use an informal one-way system where they enter Staple Road from the B2046 and leave via two other country lanes.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Source: Read Full Article