CCTV captures moment Sikh priest was brutally beaten in the street

CCTV footage captured the sickening moment a Sikh priest was ‘left for dead’ in a street attack.

The 62-year-old remains in hospital with a serious brain injury after a broad daylight assault in Manchester.

The man, who has not been named, was attacked in the city’s Northern Quarter on June 23.

It is thought it happened after the victim accidentally brushed past his partner.

The men exchanged words before he was knocked to the road with two blows to the side of the head.

In a statement the family said their ‘loving and caring’ relative ‘had his life tragically altered forever when a thug cowardly committed this heinous act’.

They said he was left in a ‘pool of blood…with catastrophic permanent life-changing brain damage’.

A statement continued: ‘A devoted husband and father who has lived, worked and supported a community in a city he has loved for 37 years and now cannot even leave the hospital.

‘He worked long hours every day to help his children live the life he never got to and make sure we were raised to help and inspire future generations, raising a teacher, a pharmacist and a soon-to-be doctor.

‘A Sikh priest was left for dead on the bustling streets of Manchester, a route he has walked home every day, while people watched on.

‘He was mindlessly and violently attacked and the sick, cowardly individuals are still out there.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a webbrowser thatsupports HTML5video

‘We read horrific things in the news but never expect it to happen to one of your own, a man who could not say a single hateful or negative comment, who taught those around him to practice kindness.

‘We have lost the life of the party, the light in amongst any darkness in our lives and the laughter and joy he brought home every day, has disappeared and left our hearts vacant. We will sadly never get the man back who left for work that day and thought he would walk home to enjoy the nice weather.’

Greater Manchester Police has released the footage to identify the attacker, and CCTV images of a man and a woman they want to speak to in connection with the incident. 

Detective inspector Mark Astbury, of Longsight CID, said: ‘We are keen to identify the man and woman pictured in the attached images, as we believe they may be able to assist us with our investigation.

‘We took the decision to release the CCTV footage with the family’s permission, simply to show the severity and mindlessness of this attack and why we need to make sure the offender is found and faces the consequences of his appalling actions.’ 

A 38-year-old man arrested in July on suspicion of serious assault in connection with the attack has been eliminated from inquiries.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article