Charles may streamline Firm –but ‘no reason’ to cull titlles – expert

King Charles 'should focus on his brand' says Mangan

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The British Royal Family “has no reason” to follow the example set by Scandinavian monarchs in recent years and slash the number of its royals holding HRH styles and titles, a royal commentator said. However, he added, a more streamlined monarchy would seem “appropriate” when the country is facing difficult times.

Royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams told Express.co.uk: “Queen Margarethe of Denmark, who celebrated her Golden Jubilee this year and is Europe’s longest-reigning monarch, has decided to remove the HRH titles from four of her grandchildren, the children of her second son Prince Joachim.

“This followed King Carl Gustaf of Sweden, who removed the titles from five of his grandchildren in 2019.

“The emphasis in making these decisions was that their titles would be an encumbrance to them in their future lives.

“The idea of a streamlined Royal Family has long been associated with King Charles.

“He may alter the number of working members of the Royal Family.

“Harry and Meghan’s children, Archie and Lili, should have the option of having HRHs under the 1917 Letters Patent issued by George V, but it remains to be seen if he confirms this.

“Beatrice and Eugenie, daughters of the Duke of York, were each given an HRH title which has proven a mixed blessing.

“Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips, the children of the Princess Royal, did not receive titles and have been publicly thankful for this.

“The British Royal Family has no reason to imitate its continental counterparts.

“Nevertheless, in straightened times, a more streamlined monarchy would seem both appropriate and more likely.”

The Firm currently counts 10 working members supporting the Crown and the King, including the Prince and Princess of Wales, Princess Anne and the late Queen’s cousin Prince Richard, the Duke of Gloucester.

However, there are more royals who hold a title but don’t carry out any duty – including Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Prince Andrew, and Prince Michael of Kent.

The cull witnessed in the Danish and Swedish royal families so far have included only the grandchildren of the sovereigns, while the adult children remained untouched.

At the moment, three out of five of the new sovereign’s grandchildren officially hold full titles – Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, the children of the heir to the throne.

The son and daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, on the other hand, became eligible to be styled as HRH Prince and Princess following the accession to the throne of Charles earlier this month.

However, the Palace hasn’t yet announced a formal change in the status of California-based Archie Harrison and Lilibet ‘Lili’ Diana.

King Charles has been rumoured for several years to be planning a more agile, cost-effective and streamlined Royal Family, albeit no official statement has ever been shared in this regard.

Reports over the years led to believe Charles’s move would see him slashing, as mentioned by Mr Fitzwilliams, the number of working members of the Firm rather than affect those who, like Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice, already have careers of their own and don’t receive taxpayer funds.

While the decision made by King Carl Gustaf in 2019 was publicly welcomed by his younger son and daughter, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Marlene, whose children stopped being official members of the royal house and will no longer be able to pass on their titles to their spouses and heirs, Denmark’s Prince Joachim and his first wife Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, reacted with sadness at the Wednesday’s statement by Queen Margrethe.

The prince told Danish Press Ekstra Bladet: “We are all very sad. It’s never fun to see your children being mistreated like that.

“They themselves find themselves in a situation they do not understand.”

The Countess, who is the mother of Joachim’s eldest sons Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix, was reported by Danish magazine Se og Hør saying: “We are all confused by the decision. We are saddened and in shock.”

She added her children feel “ostracised” and can’t understand “why their identity is being taken away from them.”

Prince Joachim’s youngest son and daughter, Prince Henrik and Princess Athena, born during his current marriage with Princess Marie, have also been affected by the Danish sovereign’s move.

Her decision, said a statement on Wednesday, aimed at creating The decision aims at creating “the framework for the four grandchildren to be able to shape their own lives to a much greater extent without being limited by the special considerations and duties that a formal affiliation with the Royal House of Denmark as an institution involves”.

Source: Read Full Article