Charles weighs up punishment plan for Harry and Meghan

Harry & Meghan: Netflix releases latest trailer for volume II

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

King Charles is facing a “real dilemma” with regard to his Coronation ceremony next year in the light of claims contained in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Netflix series and may even opt to exclude them completely, a royal commentator has said. Three more episodes of the docuseries are due to drop on the streaming service at 8am GMT tomorrow, with the Duke of Sussex using a trailer aired earlier this week to complain of “institutional gaslighting” while his wife claiming she had been “fed to the wolves”.

The King’s Coronation is scheduled for May 6, 2023 at Westminster Abbey – but Palace insiders fear it could prove an awkward occasion for all involved if the Sussexes attend, especially with Harry’s memoir, Spare, due to hit the bookshelves on January 10.

Jonathan Sacerdoti, whose television appearances include the BBC, Sky News and Fox News, and who is also a Special Correspondent for the Jewish Chronicle, acknowledged there were no simple solutions for the recently anointed monarch.

He told Express.co.uk: “Regarding the Coronation, I think it’s a real dilemma.

“It might seem very aggressive not to invite Megan and Harry though most people would understand exactly why that decision would have been made.

The King’s Coronation is scheduled for May 6, 2023 at Westminster Abbey – but Palace insiders fear it could prove an awkward occasion for all involved if the Sussexes attend, especially with Harry’s memoir, Spare, due to hit the bookshelves on January 10.

Jonathan Sacerdoti, whose television appearances include the BBC, Sky News and Fox News, and who is also a Special Correspondent for the Jewish Chronicle, acknowledged there were no simple solutions for the recently anointed monarch.

He told Express.co.uk: “Regarding the Coronation, I think it’s a real dilemma.

“It might seem very aggressive not to invite Megan and Harry though most people would understand exactly why that decision would have been made.

JUST IN: Six-year-old Zlata is fitted with bulletproof vest in Kharkiv

“However, it might be that a creative solution could be found whereby Meghan and Harry are not invited, but that merely reflects a wider decision about non-working royals, perhaps. 

“That’s what happened during the Jubilee celebrations on the balcony when other non-working royals weren’t included so the focus wasn’t just on any individual who had been left out.”

Nevertheless, such a move would inevitably focus attention on the fact Harry and Meghan had been cut out of the picture, just as it did earlier this year, Mr Sacerdoti admitted.

He added: “Part of the problem is that the Royal Family is damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

DON’T MISS
Meghan and Harry edits Queen speech to focus on ‘imperial family’ [INSIGHT] 
‘Real war against Meghan Markle’ mentioned in new Netflix trailer [VIDEO] 
Harry and Meghan’s ‘institutional gaslighting’ claim torn apart [INSIGHT] 

“Their constant consideration regarding Meghan and Harry now must be at every stage to balance any possible damage resulting from both sides of any decision they take.

“Sometimes the choice will be between two less than ideal possibilities and they have to decide which is less bad.”

In the latest trailer, the royal household was accused of planting negative stories about the Sussexes to deflect from less favourable coverage of other royals as part of “a war against Meghan”.

Jenny Afia, the duchess’s lawyer alleged she has seen evidence of briefing from the Palace against the couple, while Meghan’s friend Lucy Fraser claimed the duchess became a “scapegoat for the Palace”.

The duchess also appears in the teaser, saying: “You would just see it play out, like a story about someone in the family would pop up for a minute and they’d go ‘We’ve got to make that go away’.”

Partner at Schillings Ms Afia says, as footage of Buckingham Palace is shown: “There was a real kind of war against Meghan and I’ve certainly seen evidence that there was negative briefing from the Palace against Harry and Meghan to suit other people’s agendas.”

The duchess’s friend Lucy Fraser adds: “Meg became this scapegoat for the Palace.

“And so they would feed stories on her whether they were true or not to avoid other less favourable stories being printed.”

In the previous trailer, screened on Monday, Harry said, without explaining who ‘they’ are: “They were happy to lie to protect my brother. They were never willing to tell the truth to protect us.”

As well as saying she had been “fed to the wolves”, Meghan spoke of how “our security was being pulled”.

The programme – for which the royal couple are thought to have been paid upwards of £80million – has become the streaming giant’s most watched documentary in a premier week, debuting with 81.55 million hours viewed.

In the first three episodes on December 8, Harry accused the royals of having a “huge level of unconscious bias” while Meghan said the media wanted to “destroy” her.

Express.co.uk has approached the Sussexes for comment via Archewell.

Source: Read Full Article