Covid-19: Expert discusses risk of plastic screens
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Freedom of Information requests to hospital trusts, solicited by The Telegraph, uncovered that 3,264 people had died from the virus since March last year after contracting the virus whilst in hospital. Speaking on Wednesday night, Barbara Keeley MP, member of the Health and Social Care Select Committee said it was “unacceptable.”
“Every Covid-19 death is a tragedy,” said Ms Keeley.
“It is unacceptable that more than 3,000 people have now died from Covid-19 infections they acquired in hospital.”
Official figures suggest that more than 40,000 patients contracted the virus in hospital while being treated for other illnesses.
They also suggest that at the peak of the second wave in January, more than 3,000 patients a week were catching the virus in hospital.
The latest figures note that number has dropped to just over 200 a week.
The Freedom of Information requests discovered that nine separate hospital trusts recorded more than 100 patients died after catching the virus in their care.
The Telegraph noted that less than half of the NHS trusts contacted for the information responded, and suggested the number of patients who died after catching the disease in hospitals could be much greater.
At Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS foundation Trust, 128 people who were suspected of contracting the virus in hospital died, accounting for 24 percent of the total recorded deaths at the Trust.
Similarly 21 percent of all deaths at Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust and 20 percent of all deaths at Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Trust were attributed to patients contracting the disease in hospital.
Families of the bereaved victims urged for the Government’s inquiry into the UK’s handling of the pandemic to include a report on those who caught the virus in hospital while being treated for another illness.
On March 24, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said an inquiry would be held into the pandemic but did not give an exact date, only when “it’s right to do so.”
He claimed that opening a swift inquiry now would be “irresponsible” as it would divert the attention of officials away from treating the disease.
Covid warning: ‘Unequal’ jab distribution to allow vaccine-resistance [REVEAL]
AstraZeneca slander backfires: EU’s OWN regulator finds ‘no risk’ [INSIGHT]
Is the AstraZeneca vaccine safe for young women? [SPOTLIGHT]
Epidemiologist, Professor Neil Ferguson, said an inquiry should start “in a few months” but warned that any delay would make it “less likely to actually effect real change.”
Source: Read Full Article