Dramatic footage shows police appear to pin teen suspect by his neck

Manchester: Police officer wrestles teenager to the ground

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

A complaint has now been lodged against the officers following the incident involving a 17-year-old boy who was taken to hospital to have bruises and cuts treated. He was with his girlfriend in an Oldham park on Sunday when the two officers approached him.

In footage shared with Manchester Evening News, one officer appears to drag the teen to the floor and then pin him by his neck.

Throughout the incident, the boy’s girlfriend can be shouting at the officer to stop.

His girlfriend immediately got his mum, who lived across the road, for assistance and, once she arrived with his sister, the family were told he wasn’t being arrested.

“At the minute the police are watching for people and looking for drug dealers,” the sister said.

“When they approached him they automatically tried to arrest him.

“You can hear his girlfriend saying ‘what are you doing’, there was no response.

“He’s 17 years old. As you can see, they put him to the floor, he’s not resisting arrest, he’s not doing nothing.

“They put him to the floor, it’s violent for no reason.”

After the teenager’s girlfriend ran over to get his sister and mum, the group asked the officers what they were doing.

The sister said: “I said you’ve got a 17-year-old in cuffs, fair enough if he’s done something wrong, but there’s still no reason to behave like that.

“When mum came over they let him go. They said he matched the description of a 6ft 8 drug dealer.

“I’ve never seen more disgusting behaviour, these are the people that are supposed to be working professionals who protect us.”

I’ve never seen more disgusting behaviour, these are the people that are supposed to be working professionals who protect us

The teenager’s sister

Describing the incident further, she said: “He pushed his face into the ground, there’s a massive print in the ground and there’s a footprint on his leg, his hands and wrist are all red and scratched.

“He didn’t do anything, he didn’t resist arrest.

“They’ve not learnt anything from the past year and a half.”

The boy’s girlfriend said: “We went to the shop to get a drink, we were walking away when the police pulled up, they came from behind us.

“They came up behind him, grabbed him by the arms and he said ‘what are you doing’, they said nothing and started putting cuffs on him.

“As they put cuffs on one of his arms they pushed him to the ground.

“He’s got marks all over his neck, he’s got an impression on his leg where he’s been stood on and cuts on his wrists and hands and where he’s been scratched.

“He didn’t even resist, he did nothing to provoke them, he stood there and let him do it.

“They put him in the back of the car then as soon as his legal guardian arrived, they said they weren’t pressing charges and he was just being detained.

“It came out of nowhere. It was awful, I just panicked and I didn’t know what to do. He was a bit shaken up, he wasn’t expecting it at all.”

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “Shortly before 6pm, a PCSO on patrol in Chadderton came across a group believed to be smoking cannabis in an area that has been the subject of complaints from residents regarding the use of recreational drugs.

“When the PCSO approached the group, one of the males refused to provide details and was verbally aggressive, and so two neighbourhood officers went to the area around half an hour later to conduct a search of the male under section 23 of the Misuse of Drugs Act, which was stated to him.

“The male did not appear willing to comply and officers attempted to detain him to conduct the search in a safe and orderly manner, but the male resisted this moving his arms away so officers brought him to the ground to apply handcuffs.

“Once the male was searched, nothing was found on his person and he was released once he was able to provide his details for the record of the search.

“A complaint has been received since the incident took place and this is currently being progressed.”

Source: Read Full Article