Easter warning after dog nearly dies from eating owner's hot cross bun

A puppy nearly died after pinching her owner’s hot cross bun.

Hungry Hattie swiped the Easter treat when Paul Beckwith went to fetch the butter.

When he turned back around he saw the snack in the Bernese Mountain Dog’s mouth and rushed over to yank it out.

But the sneaky pup had already scoffed the whole thing in just two bites.

The traditional Easter bake can be fatal for dogs due to raisins, currants and sultanas being toxic for them.

Paul, a civil servant from Witham in Essex, said: ‘I hadn’t realised how high she could reach. Hattie hadn’t really taken things before.

‘I knew how dangerous it could be as one of my niece’s dogs ate some raisins a couple of years back and it was touch and go whether it was going to live.

‘That was partly because it hadn’t been spotted quickly, so I was thinking the worst and I knew I had to act fast.

‘When I phoned the vet, we were told we didn’t have long and to get her in straight away.’

Hattie was rushed to the vets where she was given an injection to make her throw up – minimising the fatal risk.

The warning comes as millions of Brits plan to tuck into the sweet treats over the Easter weekend.

Vets Now said it had seen a 262% increase in hot cross bun ingestion cases from last year.

Dave Leicester, Vets Now’s head of telehealth, said: ‘All grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can be poisonous to dogs.

‘And potentially poisonous to cats, and the dried versions of the fruits are more frequently associated with severe symptoms.

‘Recent research has suggested that it may be tartaric acid that causes the toxic effect.

‘More research is needed before we can confidently provide a toxic dose, not least because the tartaric acid content of grapes and raisins is highly variable.

‘Just one grape, raisin, currant or sultana can be toxic so real caution should be taken with foods that contain them.’

Paul was thankfully able to take Hattie home the same evening.

He said: ‘She was pretty sorry for herself when she came out, but she was back to herself the following day.

‘There’s absolutely no way we’ll be having hot cross buns anywhere within reach and I’d definitely advise other owners to be really careful.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article