Eight women run from salon including one with shampoo in hair after police raid

Customers escaped an illegal hair salon through a fire escape and were captured on CCTV running away from the scene after a police raid.

The owner of Euphoria Tanning Hair and Beauty, and several customers, have been fined for breaching coronavirus restrictions.

Passers-by reported the salon in Cwmbran, Wales, was open and operating despite the current lockdown on Saturday, January 16.

Gwent Police went to the salon, in Glyndwr Road, and saw people going in through the front door.

Officers had to break in after requests to open the door were ignored. Police found evidence which showed that tanning beds had recently been used and beauty treatments had been taking place.

Up to eight people were captured by cameras running away from the salon after leaving through the fire exit.

The business owner has been handed a £1,000 fixed penalty notice for failing to close the premises despite the current Welsh Government restrictions in place.

While three customers have also been fined for attending the salon, with police carrying out enquiries to identify the others who were present.

Torfaen Inspector Aled George said: ‘This was a blatant breach of Covid-19 regulations. Businesses who flout the regulations are behaving irresponsibly and putting the lives of their customers, staff and the wider community at risk.

‘As this incident shows, we – together with our partners from Torfaen Council – will take action to keep the public safe. We will continue to take enforcement action against businesses and the public who breach Covid regulations.

‘We understand this is a really difficult time for our communities, the majority of businesses and residents, are doing the right thing by adhering to Welsh Government regulations and we would like to thank them for their support.

‘Coronavirus levels remain high across much of Gwent, and by following Welsh Government regulations we’re all saving lives and protecting the NHS.

‘We will continue to engage, explain and encourage our communities to work together with us to keep everyone safe. Everyone has a part to play in stopping the spread of this virus.’

Councillor Mandy Owen, from Torfaen County Borough Council, said the video footage made it clear that those inside the saloon knew they were breaking the law and ‘putting themselves, others and the NHS at risk.’

She added: ‘Covid is still circulating in the borough and everyone knows it thrives on close contact, so it was highly irresponsible of the business owner and customers to continue visiting the salon.’

‘This is the second time the business has been issued with a fixed penalty notice. Public protection officers issued the first fixed penalty notice in June 2020.

‘This is very disappointing. The vast majority of businesses have put measures in place to comply with the regulations, and are working really hard to keep their businesses running, whilst maintaining the safety of their staff and customers.

‘We’d like to say thank you to all the businesses and residents who are doing the right thing and complying with the current lockdown.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article