Euro 2020: England through to first final since 1966 after beating Denmark 2-1 in extra time

England have beaten Denmark 2-1 in extra time in the semi-final of Euro 2020 at Wembley to progress to their first major final in 55 years.

Raheem Sterling was fouled in the box late in the first period of extra time, with the referee pointing to the spot.

Captain Harry Kane stepped up only to see his penalty saved by Kasper Schmeichel, but the rebound fell kindly to him and he powered the ball home.

England saw out the final period of extra time to send Wembley into ecstasy.

The Three Lions started the match brightly to the roar of the home fans; a great cross from Kane into the box just a touch too far for Sterling – he had another chance a few minutes later but scuffed it into Schmeichel’s arms.

The crowd quietened as Denmark got more of the ball and started to probe into England’s half.

Then, in the 30th minute, the home fans were stunned when Mikkel Damsgaard’s free kick flew over the wall and beat Pickford.

It was the first goal England conceded at the tournament and nervous moments followed as Denmark looked to be in control.

But Wembley was rocking again in the 39th minute when a Saka cross came off Denmark’s Simon Kjaer and found the back of the net as he attempted to hold off a charging Raheem Sterling.

That equaliser came only a minute after Kasper Schmeichel had made a brilliant point-blank save from the Manchester City star.

The second half started with Harry Maguire picking up what looked to be a very questionable yellow card.

But, minutes later, he rose to direct a fantastic header towards the corner of the net – only to be denied by another miraculous fingertip save from Schmeichel.

It seemed to boost England and the crowd, with the Three Lions seizing the initiative and pushing forward.

Fans’ favourite Jack Grealish came on to cheers as he replaced Saka in the 68th minute, while the Danes made a triple substitution – bringing on Wass, Poulsen and Norgaard.

Mason Mount forced Schmeichel to tip over the bar mid-way through the half, and almost immediately after England had a penalty appeal denied by VAR when Kane went down in the box.

Tension climbed as the clock ticked down, before six minutes of injury time saw England firmly on the front foot. However the dramatic last-gasp winner proved elusive.

The home side maintained the pressure as extra time began, with Phil Foden and Jordan Henderson coming on for Declan Rice and Mason Mount.

Grealish had a shot palmed away in the 98th minute by Schmeichel and Raheem Sterling blazed his follow-up over the bar.

The decisive moment came in the 102nd minute – Sterling skipped away from Maehle in the area and the Dane was judged to have tripped him.

VAR confirmed the penalty, but Kane was extremely lucky that his saved spot kick – easily read by the excellent Schmeichel – ended up back in his path for him to fire home.

A final on Sunday against Italy, back at Wembley, now awaits and the chance for England to taste international glory again after more than 50 years.

Source: Read Full Article