Ex-border chief warns Channel crossings to DOUBLE as £54m gift to France plan savaged

Migrant channel crossing numbers 'set to double' says Vine

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Former Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration John Vine argued the UK will see migrant Channel crossings number twice as high as the previous year. While speaking on LBC he argued that the Government’s current strategy at dealing with the problem had failed. He also insisted the plan to give France £54 million in a bid to prevent further crossings would be ineffective.

Mr Vine said: “I think the figures are set to double from last year for this year.

“I think it is too late this year to actually evaluate whatever strategy that has been put in place to tackle this problem.

“But clearly, that strategy has failed.

“I think offering up £54 million pounds to the French to increase patrols along 150 kilometres of the northern French coast was never going to work.”

DON’T MISS: Priti Patel threatens to pull £54 million promised to France

Mr Vine went into greater detail as to why a robust strategy was necessary to tackle this complex problem.

He continued: “The chances of routine police patrols coming across people smugglers and traffickers is probably going to be pretty remote.

“The other thing is, while we focus on people travelling boat across the channel, the organised crime groups behind this will be smuggling people through containers through ports as well.

“There is a sense that there needs to be a complete reevaluation on this policy by the end of this season of travelling in order to prepare us for next year because this isn’t going to go away.”

Migrant crossings: France 'making excuses' says Admiral

This comes after the UK saw a record high of an estimated 1,000 men, women, and children making the dangerous journey across the Channel on Monday.

The figure – which is based on witness sightings by Sky News – is believed to be the highest figure and surpassed the previous record of 828 on August 21

Vaccine Minister Nadhim Zahawi was questioned by Kay Burley on Tuesday morning about the actual figure.

The Government insisted the figure was smaller than 1,000 but failed to give an exact number of people.

Fury as French minister demands new deal to ‘expel migrants to UK’ [COMMENT]
‘France has lost control of the border!’ 828 cross Channel in a day [REVEAL]
Record number of migrants tried to cross Channel in one day [INSIGHT]

The Times has also found that the Home Secretary, Priti Patel told France she may withhold the £54 million promised.

This would be in retaliation to the small number of people stopped by France.

Ms Patel has previously defended the decision to reward France with the £54 million by insisting the French were “doing their bit.”

Source: Read Full Article