Four-month-old migrant girl found dead in New York City hotel

A four-month-old migrant girl was found dead in a hotel used to house asylum seekers in Manhattan.

First responders rushed to the Stewart Hotel in Midtown after receiving a 911 call about a child not breathing on Thursday morning around 7.30am.

The hotel is one of several across the city being used to house migrants detained at the US-Mexico border.

Upon, first responders found the girl in cardiac arrest. She was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where she was declared dead upon arrival.

Her death is currently being investigated by the New York Police Department and the city’s Administration for Children’s Services, the agency confirmed.

‘The safety and well-being of New York City’s children is our top priority,’ an ACS spokesperson said in a statement.

Her cause of death will be determined after an autopsy is conducted by the city medical examiner.

The infant, who has not yet been named, came to the United States with her parents from Ecuador in January, authorities said.

She is the third migrant child to die in the US after surrendering to authorities in 2023.

The first death occurred earlier this month, when a 17-year-old Honduran national died after having an epileptic seizure at a migrant holding facility in Safety Harbor, Florida.

The teenager, identified as Ángel Maradiaga, reportedly suffered from epilepsy but never before had seizure that lasted more than a few minutes.

The second death occurred at a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facility in Harlingen, Texas. The victim, eight-year-old Anadith Tanay Reyes Álvarez, had just arrived on the US side of the border with her family.

Álvarez’s parents and siblings were citizens of Honduras, but she was born in Panama with a congenital heart problem and sickle cell anemia.

CBP later released more details about her death, including the fact that her parents sought medical help for her three times at the CBP facility. According to the report, she was complaining of ‘abdominal pain, nasal congestion, and cough,’ and was found to have a fever of 101.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

Álvarez was treated at the facility for influenza, but was not hospitalized until she had what appeared to be a seizure and required CPR.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Source: Read Full Article