Grenfell tower fire: Anger and grief two years on

Survivors of the Grenfell fire and those who lost loved ones have held a vigil to mark two years since the disaster.

Thousands of people took part in a silent walk to remember victims after an impassioned call for accountability from rapper Lowkey.

Wearing a green scarf, like many others at the multi-faith memorial, grime artist Stomzy was among marchers in the shadow of the tower block in commemoration of the 72 men, women and children killed in the blaze.

Many taking part in the silent march carried Justice For Grenfell signs.

Commemorations began with a memorial service at St Helen’s Church in the morning, followed by a private wreath-laying.

A 72-second silence, one second representing each victim, was held. The names of all of the dead were then read aloud.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan and communities secretary James Brokenshire laid flowers alongside bereaved relatives.

Karim Mussilhy, who’s uncle died in the fire, said it was important to stand together and continue campaigning because “we want to make sure the general public understand that the issues of Grenfell are still happening today”.

At the vigil artist Lowkey referred to rules around cladding: “Combustible and still legal, regulations feel feeble, this has to be a never again moment.”

He said the community demands “truth, justice and peace for all of the lost ones”.

The silent march, which Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn also joined, took place near the tower which was surrounded by white sheeting, with banners featuring the green Grenfell heart symbol and the words “Grenfell forever in our hearts” running across the four highest floors.

A large community mosaic, which has been worked on since before the first anniversary, was unveiled. It featured words including love, hope and unity.

Friday marked two years since a small kitchen fire began in the residential tower in Kensington turned into the most deadly domestic blaze since the Second World War.

It left scores of families homeless and has triggered a public inquiry and a criminal investigation.

The inquiry’s first report was due to be published in spring but has been delayed until October.

Source: Read Full Article