The Duke of Sussex couldn’t “afford” to miss the Coronation of King Charles and Queen Camilla, a royal expert has claimed. Following months of speculation, Buckingham Palace confirmed Prince Harry would be travelling to the UK alone to attend the Ceremony next month. Commenting on why the couple took so long to make the announcement, royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams said the couple “like attention and are getting it”.
It was confirmed that Meghan would remain with Archie and Lilibet at the couple’s home in Montecito, California.
It means Harry will miss his son’s fourth birthday, which falls on the Coronation day.
But Mr Fitzwilliams said the couple’s reputation could have done with the boost if they both chose to attend.
Speaking to Express.co.uk he said: “They are unpredictable. They like attention and are getting it. However their ratings here and in the US are terrible. Who knows what is going on I don’t think they can afford, with contracts linked to being royal, to miss it.”
Last summer Meghan and Harry were met by boos as they left St Paul’s Cathedral for service during the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
Over 2,000 invitations have been sent out for the Coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey on May 6, as more details of the day are released.
Earlier this week it was reported that the Sussexes had been excluded from the Buckingham Palace balcony lineup accompanying the King following the coronation.
But Mr Fitzwilliams said “this was their choice” after they chose to step back from Royal life.
He said: “We will, it is reported, see the working members of the royal family on the balcony after the Coronation. This will exclude the Sussexes and Andrew as well as Beatrice and Eugenie and their spouses.
“Some of the members of the Royal Family are of an advanced age and King Charles’s “slimmed down” monarchy will gradually come into being.
“As there are fewer royals, it will also mean there will be less charitable work as they will carry out fewer engagements.”
The last time the Sussexes were in the UK was the Queen’s funeral.
But since then, the couple have released the Netflix docuseries and Harry’s tell-all memoir, which featured several damning allegations against his family, including a physical altercation with his brother Prince William.
Harry said nothing he has done has had “any intention” of causing them harm.
Speaking to ITV’s Tom Bradby he said: “I love my father. I love my brother. I love my family. I always do. Nothing of what I’ve done in this book or otherwise has ever been any intention to harm them or hurt them.”
POLL: Do you support Prince Harry attending Coronation alone?[DON’T MISS]
Royal Mail issues update following network delays in parts of the UK[DON’T MISS]
Sussexes’ Coronation plans after ‘weeks of transatlantic ping pong'[DON’T MISS]
Harry returned to London last month for a surprise appearance in a court case but the King and William were reportedly “too busy” to see him.
Speaking in January about the Coronation, the Duke said: “There is a lot that can happen between now and then.”
He added: “The door is always open. The ball is in their court.
“There is a lot to be discussed and I really hope that they are willing to sit down and talk about it.”
Source: Read Full Article