Harry & Meghan: First look at final three Netflix episodes
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Harry criticised the Royal Family’s “unconscious bias” when it comes to race in the UK in an episode of his Netflix docu-series. The Duke of Sussex said the Royal Family is “part of the problem” after writer Afua Hirsch said racist imageries can often be found in stately homes and palaces. The third episode of Netflix’s Harry & Meghan recalled when in 2017 Princess Michael of Kent, whose name is Baroness Marie-Christine Anna Agnes Hedwig Ida von Reibnitz, wore a blackamoor brooch to a lunch hosted by the late Queen in the run-up to Christmas.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were among the guests of the yearly bash.
News Prince Michael’s wife had donned the brooch, widely considered racist, sparked huge criticism and brought the Baroness to apologise.
After Ms Hirsch appeared on screen to speak about the presence of racist imagery in certain stately homes as “skeletons in the closet” making at times unwelcome appearances in daily life, the documentary cut to Prince Harry.
Referring to the Firm, the Duke said: “In this family, sometimes you know, you’re part of the problem rather than part of the solution.
“And there is a huge level of unconscious bias. The thing with unconscious bias is it’s actually no one’s fault.
“But once it’s been pointed out or identified within yourself, you then need to make it right. It’s education. It’s awareness.
“And it’s a constant work in progress for everybody, including me, you know.”
The documentary then recalled when, in 2005, Prince Harry attended a party wearing a Nazi uniform.
Owning up to his huge mistake, the Duke said: “It was probably one of the biggest mistakes in my life. I felt so ashamed afterwards.
“All I wanted to do was make it right. We sat down and spoke to the chief rabbi in London, which had a profound impact on me. I went to Berlin and spoke to a Holocaust survivor.
“I could’ve ignored it and probably made the same mistakes over again in my life. But I learned from that.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex spoke about their experience with the Royal Family and the media in their documentary – the first product they have released for Netflix since signing a contract with the streaming giant in 2020.
The entertainment giant has so far released only the first three episodes of the series, with the second half to be shared on December 15.
In the show, the Duke and Duchess shared personal and never-before-seen photographs of their romance and their children.
They also discussed their struggles with media attention and voiced having received death threats and fearing for their family’s safety.
The Royal Family hasn’t responded to the docu-series yet, and King Charles showed it was very much business as usual for him as he stepped out in London for a visit to a community hub only hours after the series’ debut.
Source: Read Full Article