Heartbroken residents devastated as flames tear through beloved ex-social club

Residents in a north Manchester neighbourhood were forced to helplessly watch on as a beloved former social club was engulfed in flames. Fire crews were at the scene of the blaze in Moston at 4:20pm on Sunday (May 14) after reports of a fire in what was once home to St Luke’s Social Club.

Numerous roads in the area were closed by police, while residents were advised to stay put in their homes as crews worked tirelessly to tackle the blaze.

Black smoke could be spotted emanating from the building for miles, with residents informing the Manchester Evening News they weren’t able to see down their streets.

Twelve homes were deemed unsafe during the blaze, with residents forced to evacuate.

One man said: “It was shocking because when it started it didn’t look that big.

Read more: Family devastated after ‘bubbly’ dad-of-two crushed to death at work

“It was just a bit of white smoke.

“But then it built up and built up and went black and all hell broke loose.

“Our whole street was covered.”

Some residents were left devastated at the loss of a building which was the venue of so many precious memories for them.

One woman said: “I had so many great nights in St Luke’s.

“I’m really, really shocked. It’s sad.”

Fire crews continued work throughout the evening, using a turntable special appliance, a mobile command unit, a high volume pump, and the fire service drone to extinguish the flames.

One mother stood watching the blaze with her two children. “It’s terrible,” she said. “I hope everyone is okay.”

The M.E.N understands that nobody was inside the building.

Four of the 12 evacuated households have since been able to return home.

Don’t miss…
Midwife makes impossible choice after learning unborn child had brain condition[LATEST]

In a statement, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 4.20 this afternoon Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service received the first of many 999 calls reporting a fire in a derelict building on Sulby Street in Moston.

“Five fire engines from across Greater Manchester, plus a turntable special appliance, a mobile command unit, a high volume pump, and the fire service drone, are all on the scene working together to extinguish the fire and keep everybody safe.

“Manchester Council, Cadent Gas, United Utilities and the Environment Agency are also at the scene to support firefighters.

“Greater Manchester Police have closed several roads around the incident.

“Although the fire is contained to a derelict building, it is in a built up area and there are some neighbours impacted by this incident.

“12 homes are temporarily unsafe due to the presence of smoke.

“Firefighters have been visiting nearby people to ensure they are safe and well while the fire is brought under control.

“We urge all people in the local area to keep their doors and windows closed until this incident is resolved.”

Source: Read Full Article