A lorry was left hanging off a bridge on the M1 in the early hours of this after a dramatic crash.
The heavy goods vehicle smashed into a bridge barrier over the A14 shortly before 4.40am, reports Leicestershire Live, and the driver made a lucky escape from the lorry and was left uninjured.
Officers arrived at the scene and the M1, A14 and M6 at the Catthorpe Interchange near Lutterworth were subsequently closed, Leicestershire Police confirmed.
Motorists have been urged to avoid the area altogether if possible with the roads expected to be shut throughout the day. A crane was deployed to recover the truck, which has since been removed from the precarious position. But damage to the road surface and barrier means emergency repair work is ongoing at the scene.
Highways England said in an update: “The closures will be in place most of the day due to the nature of the collision and complex recovery work.”
Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service was also called to the scene but did not have to take action. A crew assessed the situation and a recovery team was subsequently called.
Traffic is expected to be slow throughout the day with queues already stretching five miles on the approach to the closure on the M1. Only the southbound side is closed but there are still delays on the northbound side.
The M6 southbound and A14 is also still closed. Drivers are being diverted via the A5 – and the route is also reported to be congested this morning. Routes through the nearby villages of Cotesback, Walcote and Welford also appear to be busy due to the nearby incident.
Full M1 diversion route
Road users are advised to follow the solid square diversion symbol on road signs:
- Exit the M1 at Junction 20 and take the 3rd exit onto the A4303.
- Continue on the A4303 for 0.5km to the A4303/A426 Rugby Road/Lutterworth Road roundabout.
- At the roundabout take the second exit west(straight ahead) and continue westbound along the A4303 passing through a further two roundabouts at Coventry Road and Magna Park to A5/A4303 Cross in Hand Roundabout.
- At the roundabout take the first exit (left) onto the A5 south.
- Continue along the A5 southbound for approximately 4 kms to the A5/A426 Gibbets Hill Roundabout.
- At Gibbet Hill Roundabout take the second exit (straight ahead) and continue for approximately 9kms along the A5 southbound to the A5 Danesway roundabout.
- At the roundabout take the second exit(south) and continue on the A5 for a further 1km to the A5/ A428 Parklands roundabout.
- Then take the second exit road off the roundabout onto the A428.
- Continue along the A428 to the M1 Junction 18 interchange and rejoin the M1 southbound.
Source: Read Full Article