Hiker rushed to hospital after plunging 32 feet from Scafell Pike

A man suffered a head injury after falling up to 10 metres on Scafell Pike. North West Ambulance Service called in the Wasdale Mountain Rescue Service after the walker sustained multiple injuries, including deep cuts to his legs. The walker was at the bottom of a gully, but despite his agony, managed to make it close to a nearby crossing over a stream from where he called for help

A team raced to the man’s rescue, bringing pain relief. He was transferred to a stretcher before being carefully taken to Brackenclose climbing hut from where he was transferred to an ambulance and rushed to hospital.

A spokesperson for Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team said: “The team was called by North West Ambulance Service regarding a walker who has taken a tumble fall of 5-10m and had sustained multiple injuries, including a head injury and deep cuts to his leg.

“The Team Leader made a swift callout and also asked an advance party to get to the scene quickly.

“Once on scene a medical assessment was made, and the casualty was treated and given pain relief.”

“He was then transferred to the stretcher and carefully taken back to Brackenclose to the waiting land ambulance for the onward journey to hospital. We wish the walker a very quick recovery.”

“He was incredibly stoic, having sustained his injuries at the bottom of Mickledore gully on the scree, and somehow getting close to the stream crossing before calling for help.”

The team was called at 8.50pm with the rescue completed just before 1am on Monday.

News of the rescue comes a week after it emerged that the body of a man was found on Britain’s highest peak, Ben Nevis.

Zekun Zhang, 26, was last seen near the summit of nearby peak Carn Mor Dearg at about 1pm on April 11.

Police Scotland said he is believed to have walked from there to the summit of Ben Nevis.

 A man’s body was found on the mountain at 3.30pm on Thursday.

While formal identification was still to take place at that time, Mr Zhang’s family was informed.

Inspector Ross McCartney thanked mountain rescue team members who helped in the search.

Source: Read Full Article