Lincolnshire bomb scares: Controlled explosion and schools evacuated amid multiple threats

Lincoln: Police respond to reports of suspicious packages

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The “precautionary” evacuations took place after Lincolnshire Police received reports of “alleged bombs on the premises” of the schools shortly after 1pm. Lincoln Crown Court, which sits in the castle’s grounds, was also emptied after two “suspicious packages” were found, the force confirmed.

Shortly after 3.30pm Lincolnshire Live reported that a “controlled explosion” was carried out by a military EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) team at the castle.

One eyewitness told the website that a black package was found against a wall in the castle grounds.

They said: “It’s a bit unusual. I have never heard anything like this happening at the castle before.

“To do controlled explosions, they must have been sufficiently concerned that it was something.”

So far no evidence has been found to back up the reports of bombs being placed in schools.

In a statement police said: “We are working with three schools in Spalding following reports of threats received relating to alleged bombs on the premises.

“We are sending resources to each school to work with the Head Teacher to establish the facts and to ensure the schools are safe.

“In the meantime, as a precautionary measure, the schools have been evacuated.

DON’T MISS: 
‘Keep your nose out of it!’ Britons rage as Pelosi gives ultimatum [REACTION]
Liz Truss demands immediate release of UK nationals from Iran [REVEALED]
Manchester Airport evacuation: Holidaymakers herded away from terminal [INSIGHT]

“At this point there is nothing to suggest that these threats are real and nothing to corroborate the claims.

“The schools affected are Spalding High School, St John the Baptist Primary and Monkshouse Primary.”

Referring to the castle, the force said: “We are in attendance at the grounds of Lincoln Castle following a report of two suspicious packages. This was reported to us at 1:04pm today.

“We are in liaison with the EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) who will be attending to assist and have advised a 100m cordon be put in place as a precaution.

“As such, it is necessary for us to evacuate the crown court.

“Our investigation is likely to be ongoing for a number of hours and will cause some disruption so please avoid the area.

“If you have any information that might help our investigation please call 101 with incident reference number 202 of September 20.”

Lincoln Castle staff have told Lincolnshire Live that the castle will remain closed until tomorrow morning.

The ancient castle was built during the late 11th century by William the Conqueror on the site of a pre-existing Roman fortress.

It is also notable for being the only place in the world where an original 1215 Magna Carta – widely seen as the first democratic piece of legislation – and 1217 Charter of the Forest can be seen side-by-side.

Source: Read Full Article