Man charged with stabbing two paramedics called to his house

A 52-year-old man has been charged after two paramedics were stabbed during a 999 call-out to a home.

West Midlands Police said Martyn Smith has been charged with two counts of wounding following the incident in Stephens Close, Wolverhampton, on Monday.

The attack unfolded after medics Michael Hipgrave and Deena Evans gained entry to a maisonette in the road at about 12.20pm.

Police officers then Tasered and arrested Smith at the scene.

Mr Hipgrave was discharged from hospital on Monday night after suffering a slash wound to his back during the incident, which required surgery. He is continuing his recovery at home.

Ms Evans remains at the hospital after undergoing surgery for a stab wound to the chest. Her condition is described as stable.

An ambulance service spokesman said both staff members were ‘recovering well’.

Smith will appear at Wolverhampton Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

A witness said she heard ‘a blood-curdling scream’ after the paramedics went in the house, while neighbours said they heard the paramedics screaming: ‘Please help us, he’s got a knife, he’s got a knife’ as they were attacked.

Colleagues rushed to the scene to treat both paramedics along with a man who was Tasered by police. The paramedics were taken to hospital for further treatment.

Next-door-neighbour Anita Millard, 65, said a man lived alone at the property, and it had been his elderly mother who had first raised concerns for his welfare after he failed to answer the door.

She described how two paramedics arrived, along with two police officers, before they managed to gain entry by removing a door panel with a screwdriver borrowed from a neighbour.

Mrs Millard said: ‘The police asked the man’s mother to step back and then the girl paramedic went in, followed by the other medic.

‘Then all I heard was a blood-curdling scream. He had two knives – I’ve never seen anything like it.’

This is a breaking news story, more to follow.

Source: Read Full Article