A “kind” and “loving” man has died after mistaking a fatal heart attack for a three-day hangover. Joshua Kerfoot, 27, from Bury near Manchester, died after being ill for three days in what he told his mother was just a hangover.
Joshua first became unwell and started vomiting after a night out on Friday in October last year.
Paramedics attended the 27-year-old after his sickness continued throughout the weekend and into the following Monday.
But they told his mum he was merely suffering from a hangover.
The next day, Angela returned from a short trip to the shops to find Joshua “cold”, reports the Manchester Evening News (MEN).
He was raced to hospital, where he was pronounced dead later that day.
The horrified mum told the outlet she “couldn’t understand” why paramedics had not taken his condition more seriously.
A coroner concluded that Joshua’s chronic cannabis use had led to his death.
She added that there were no issues with the actions of the ambulance service, given Joshua’s medical history.
A North West Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We would like to offer sincere condolences to Joshua’s family at what must be a very difficult time.
“We note the coroner did not find any concern with our involvement, nor were we invited to take part in proceedings. However, if the family would like to discuss any concerns, we invite them to contact our patient safety team.”
At Rochdale Coroner’s Court, an inquest heard Joshua had previously been admitted to hospital twice.
Angela said her son was “loved by everybody” and “always put others before himself.”
She claimed to have told paramedics of Joshua’s history with nausea and vomiting – also known as hyperemesis – but they didn’t listen.
Angela said Josh appeared “fine” and was speaking to her on the morning of his death, despite still being sick.
He asked her to go to the shops to get him a “drink of pop” – but when she returned just 20 minutes later, she found his state had deteriorated rapidly.
Concluding, Coroner Joanne Kearsley said: “I am satisfied following all investigations that there is no other reason to explain why such a young person has had an acute myocardial infarction. I find it was due to chronic cannabis use.
“The correction conclusion is that this was a drug-related death.”
Source: Read Full Article