Detectives investigating the 1992 murder of a man who ‘went missing on a family walk’ have released footage of him last seen more than 20 years ago.
Police are treating Steven Clark’s mysterious disappearance as murder following a cold case review, although his body has not been found.
Mr Clark’s elderly parents, Doris and Charles, have been arrested and questioned about his death and their neat semi was searched in September.
They have denied any responsibility and his mother described the situation as ‘absolutely ludicrous’.
Now police have released footage of Mr Clark, who was from Marske-by-the-Sea, Cleveland, on the anniversary of when he went missing, on December 28, 1992.
It is the first time that any film of Steven has been released by detectives from the Cleveland and North Yorkshire Cold Case Unit, who announced a murder inquiry in September.
The short clip of Steven was taken from a training video for the Redcar branch of the Rathbone Society charity in the 1990s.
It was last shown as part of two TV appeals about Mr Clark’s disappearance in 1993.
Mr Clark, 23, is said to have walked on the beach from Marske to Saltburn at around 3pm.
The missing persons report says that he went to use the gents’ public toilets near to the pier on the promenade in Saltburn, when his mother went into the ladies at the same time.
Officers said he was not seen coming out of the toilets and the report says that he did not return home.
The investigation team said it has had a positive response to the many public appeals for information and has released the footage in the hope that more people come forward.
Detective Chief Inspector Shaun Page said: ‘Steven had a distinctive walk as a result of a childhood road accident, and the footage shows his walk, and you also hear his voice when he is sat at a computer and speaking.
‘These clips were made public not long after he went missing, but we are releasing it as part of the new investigation in the hope that people who see it and come forward, if they haven’t spoken to us already.
‘This year, the bank holiday falls in exactly the same way as it did the year that Steven went missing and many beachgoers will walk around Saltburn as they did then. The response from the public so far has been fantastic, but I would urge others to come forward.’
Two people have been arrested and have been released under investigation.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Source: Read Full Article