Harry & Meghan: Netflix trailer ‘heightened' the drama says expert
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The timing of the release of the first-ever trailer of the Netflix docu-series Harry & Meghan, which promises a behind-the-scenes look at the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s struggles and joys, will spark “a further level of frustration and irritation” among royal supporters and the Firm as it had the potential to overshadow the Prince and Princess of Wales’ trip to Boston, according to a commentator. PR and reputation management expert Eric Schiffer described the minute-long preview as a “strategic missile” fired to steal the attention Americans, Britons and people around the world were paying to Kate and Prince William.
He told Express.co.uk: “This was a strategic missile to interrupt the attention of William and Kate and translate it into further financial benefit to Harry and Meghan.
“And will provoke a further level of frustration and irritation because of what is seen to be an overshadowing of the monarchy.”
The California-based expert went on to claim the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are “trying to steal the show” while Harry’s brother and sister-in-law are in the US.
He continued: “I think Americans who have seen the news understands what is going on.
“This has been a strategy to keep the attention on Harry and Meghan and be seen as the de fact monarchs of modern days to Gen Z and Millennials.”
The trailer was released on the second of the three-day visit Stateside of Kate and William, which will conclude today with the second award ceremony of the Earthshot Prize.
Lasting less than a minute, the teaser includes candid and intimate black-and-white pictures of Meghan and Harry.
While some portray the love of the couple, one depicts Meghan seemingly distressed while she holds up the phone.
The trailer then cuts to a picture taken during the Commonwealth Day service held in 2019 at Westminster Castle, showing the Duke and Duchess sitting behind Kate, Prince William, Queen Camilla and King Charles.
Right before the sound of a cracking glass, Prince Harry can be heard answering an interviewer who had asked him why he wanted to make this documentary.
He said: “No one sees what’s happening behind closed doors.”
After more pictures flashed through the screen, the Duke added: “I had to do everything I could to protect my family.”
Meghan is also included in the teaser, and can be heard telling an interviewer: “When the stakes are this high, doesn’t it make more sense to hear our story from us?”
This isn’t the first time an advert related to a programme including Prince Harry and Meghan is released while Kate and William are undertaking an overseas trip.
In October 2019, ITV released the trailer for Harry & Meghan: An African Journey as the Waleses’ high-profile tour to Pakistan was coming to a close.
The teaser marked the first official piece of news related to this docu-series.
While rumours surrounding an “at-home” documentary regarding the Sussexes had been swirling around since May, neither Netflix nor Archewell Productions – Meghan and Harry’s production powerhouse – had never issued an official statement or announcement about it.
Meghan, however, had mentioned in two interviews a project she and Harry were working on with director Liz Garbus.
This six-episode docu-series will be released exclusively on Netflix on December 8.
Kate and Prince stepped out in Boston for their second day of engagement just a couple of hours after the teaser release.
Making no reference to the Sussexes’ project, the Prince and Princess of Wales visited Greentown Labs, an incubator of climate innovations, as well as Roca Inc, a non-profit organisation focused on supporting high-risk young people.
Source: Read Full Article