Meghan and Harry series shamed for focus on ‘painful family breakdown’

McKinnell says 'At the heart of this is a painful family breakdown'

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are set to escalate tensions in the Royal Family as the couple look ahead to the upcoming release of their Netflix docu-series. Two trailers for the programme have already been shared, stirring much anticipation amongst the public in the lead up to the December 8 release date. However, with the series due to go live in a matter of days, some critics have hit out at their decision to share the “uncomfortable” breakdown of royal relations in unprecedented detail. 

Speaking on LBC, Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne North Catherine McKinnell said: “I find it incredibly uncomfortable, all of this.”

She continued: “I really find the media frenzy for it quite uncomfortable. At the heart of this is a very painful family breakdown, a breakdown in the relationship. 

“I find it incredibly uncomfortable to watch, incredibly sad. It’s obviously linked to Harry’s mum and what happened with her and [the] very painful past, very painful present.  

“I get why the public are so fascinated by it and I get why people will be glued to it, but I won’t be.”

LBC host Iain Dale replied: “I agree with every word you have just said, but I will be.”

In response, Ms McKinnell added: “I get that. I think it’s up to people what they do but I find it really painful, I really do.”

The series will launch just over a month before Prince Harry’s memoir ‘Spare’ is due to be published worldwide.

There had previously been rumours among royal fans that both media ventures could be delayed until 2023 following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Read more: Kate and William can no longer ‘bury heads in sand’ over royal crisis

The two separate trailers released ahead of the Netflix launch have faced fierce criticism for using images unrelated to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in an apparent bid to ignote controversy.

Detailed analysis of the promotional clips revealed photos of a media swarm had actually been taken from a Harry Potter film premier which was not attended by the royal couple and occurred some five years before the pair even met.

In another instance, footage which appears to capture the paparazzi hounding the couple has instead been connected to press coverage of Katie Price’s trial at Crawley Magistrates’ Court last year.

Royal expert Jennie Bond has criticised the “extremely sloppy production value” of both trailers.

Don’t miss: 
Meghan and Harry — Why do Sussex staff keep leaving [ANALYSIS]
Meghan ‘squished to the back’ in new Netflix trailer [INSIGHT]
Harry and Meghan’s new documentary will contain ‘strong attacks’ [REPORT]

The teaser trailers were released as the Prince and Princess of Wales embarked on a brief three-day trip to the US surrounding the central event of the Earthshot Prize awards ceremony on Friday.

Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams warned the Netflix release had been “deliberately designed” to “sabotage” the US engagements. He added that the timing of the Netflix promotional campaign was “simply outrageous”.

Just before the six-part docu-series airs, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be honoured by the Robert F Kennedy Human Rights organisation for their work on “racial justice,” among other social impact projects.

Charity President Kerry Kennedy has explained the couple will receive the prestigious Ripple of Hope award during a New York gala after taking a “heroic stand” against “structural racism” within the British monarchy.

Read next:
Best iPhone 14 deals: Get £625 off, and that’s not all
Outrage as Kate portrayed as ‘harsh’ in Sussexes Netflix trailer
Harry ‘finally free’ and ‘right to move to USA’ with Meghan, says ex
William looks smitten with Kate in new behind-the-scenes pictures
Meghan and Harry should NOT be invited to King’s coronation–POLL

Source: Read Full Article