Meghan Markle and Harry have 'eye on reputation’ says expert
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have just returned to California following their whirlwind tour of New York City. The couple’s tour was their first major trip since stepping down as senior members of the Royal Family last year. While in New York, Meghan, 40, and Harry, 37, paid their respects to the victims of the 9/11 at the memorial at the site of the former World Trade Center.
They also met with the city’s Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York State Governor Kathy Hochul.
On Saturday, the Sussexes then travelled to Central Park where they appeared at an annual concert that aims to tackle poverty and climate change.
Speaking at the Global Citizen Live event, the couple called on developed nations to share more doses of COVID-19 vaccines with poorer countries.
One of Harry and Meghan’s next big trips may be to return to the UK for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee next year.
The Queen, 95, Harry’s grandmother, will become the first monarch in British royal history to celebrate 70 years on the throne.
JUST IN: Kate Middleton shares sweet moment with ‘Grandpa’ Charles on James Bond red carpet
While it is believed the Queen herself invited the pair, royal historian Hugo Vickers claimed that the Sussexes may not be entirely “welcome” at the celebration of Her Majesty’s historic reign.
Mr Vickers is an experienced writer and royal commentator, having penned biographies of the Queen Mother and a string of other twentieth century figures.
He has also been chairman of both the Jubilee Walkway Trust and Commonwealth Walkway Trust.
He told Express.co.uk: “They talk about them coming over for this Jubilee, but I don’t know how welcome they’re going to be.
“The Queen seems to be extremely generous to them, but I just wonder what the general public thinks these days over here.
“In America she’s taken more people in, because they talk that language much more.”
In February of this year the Queen confirmed that Harry and Meghan would not return as working royals.
In a statement that followed a 12-month review of their positions, the monarch said the couple remain “much loved members” of the family.
It has not been confirmed if Harry and Meghan will come to the UK for the Platinum Jubilee celebrations.
Lilibet Diana christening: Prince William put foot down and ‘rejected UK ceremony demand’ [LATEST]
Prince Harry’s ‘luscious locks’ on Time cover joked about: ‘Looks airbrushed!’ [INSIGHT]
Prince Andrew ‘wanted to remind audience he’s a prince’ in BBC documentary [ANALYSIS]
Mr Vickers helped set up walkways to mark the Queen’s Golden and Diamond Jubilees and has been involved in some of the plans for next year’s festivities.
Speaking about the Queen’s age, he said: “Next year people will have to come to her.
“In the early Jubilees she would go on fantastic tours of the Commonwealth, she would go to Australia, New Zealand, Canada and other places.
“Now, obviously, she won’t do that, they are going to have that long weekend.
“Windsor has also galvanised itself, they’ve got lots of good plans there too. I’m on a committee for that.
“I said to them, a thing I do know about Jubilees is that they don’t just happen automatically, you have to inspire things to happen.
“You have to get things in place, you’ve got to give people the opportunity to celebrate and then come along and have a good time.”
He added: “I think if it’s focused on her it will all be positive rather than negative – concentrating positively on the Queen, her achievements, all that she’s done for this country and looking back at all the things that we want to celebrate.”
Source: Read Full Article