Meghan Markle: Bonnie Greer discusses Oprah interview
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
On Friday the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they will not return as working members of the Royal Family. A Buckingham Palace source said the Queen had confirmed the couple would not “continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service”. The announcement from the palace added that Prince Harry and Meghan “remain much-loved members of the family”.
However, on Friday night palace aides said they were shocked at the tone of the Duke and Duchess’ response.
Royal aides spoke of the Queen’s sadness that the “affection and indulgence” shown to Prince Harry had been so wilfully ignored.
The insiders claimed the affection shown to Harry by the Queen had been disregarded.
Speaking to the Daily Mail one source said: “They didn’t think to let the Queen have the last word.
“They didn’t think that with Prince Philip in hospital, she might have enough on her plate.
“And they didn’t think that there is a difference between charity and philanthropy and commitment to public duty.
“There is a world of difference with these.
“One is playing at it and one is doing it day after day, come rain or shine.
“By responding as they did, the duke and duchess are thumbing their noses.
“I think it could turn out to be a strategic mistake.”
On Friday the Duke of Sussex phoned the Queen at Windsor Castle from his home in California.
Prince Harry had an hour-long conversion with Her Majesty about his plan to move further away from his duties as a member of the Royal Family.
However, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they are committed to supporting the organisations they represent.
They made a statement that “service is universal”, referring to the fact they would continue to be patrons of the various charities they support.
In January 2020, Meghan and Harry said they would step back as senior royals and try to become financially independent.
This decision has now been made concrete by the latest announcement from the couple who live permanently in California.
About the Duke and Duchess of Sussexes announcement, a statement Buckingham Palace said: “Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.
“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.
“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”
A spokesman for Meghan and Harry also released a statement that read: “As evidenced by their work over the past year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.
“We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
Source: Read Full Article