Meghan Markle can’t ‘escape’ court case says expert
Meghan Markle will not be able to “escape” her court case going to trial this year, a royal commentator has claimed. The Duchess of Sussex is currently suing Associated Newspapers and the Mail on Sunday over five articles published that included contents of a private letter she sent to her father in 2018 without her permission. Former Royal Editor of The Sun, Charlie Rae, and talkRADIO host Kevin O’Sullivan discussed the royal’s bid for a summary judgement, which would allow the verdict to be decided on the facts of the case without going to full trial.
Mr O’Sullivan explained: “Her lawyers were in High Court recently essentially arguing that it’s an open and shut case and doesn’t need to go to court.
“I suspect that if the judge decided to award this case to Meghan then the Mail on Sunday would immediately appeal very, very angrily. He knows that.
“So her contention that she had her privacy invaded by the Mail on Sunday has to be heard in court, doesn’t it?
“It cannot be summarily closed down in the manner that she would like.”
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Mr Rae agreed: “I cannot see how on earth she can escape a full court case.
“By the way, it could happen in October if it were to go forward.
“The judge has said that he is hoping to have a decision on this particular issue within about two weeks.
“So we don’t have that long to wait really.”
Meghan Markle discusses ‘very intimate’ Suits scene in 2013
The former Royal Editor also noted the “extra information” that had already come out of the hearing.
A letter from four former members of the royal household, now dubbed the ‘Palace Four’, has said that they have some “light to shed” on the letter Meghan wrote to her father if they are called upon to give evidence in court.
However, they added that they do not want to take sides in the issue.
Queen’s romance with Prince Philip sparked ‘panic’ in Palace [INSIGHT]
Zara Tindall baby: Mike’s heartwarming ‘elated dad’ Twitter post [VIDEO]
Kate and William’s Anmer Hall peak shows off royal couple’s hobby [PICTURES]
Mr Rae told listeners: “I don’t know what they’re going to say, whether it’s that they did help write the letter or not.
“But the lawyers for the Mail are very keen that these four should be given the opportunity to say in court what exactly they know about that letter and who wrote it.
“The accusation is that Meghan used a member of the Palace staff to help frame that letter.
“Those four courtiers are alleged to have helped write that letter, therefore it becomes less private.
“She has so far claimed that it was a personal letter from a daughter to her father.”
Source: Read Full Article