Mike Tindall was ‘hospitalised’ after painful incident during TV show

I’m a Celeb: Commentator asks ‘what tea Mike Tindall will spill’

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The former rugby player — who celebrates his 44th birthday on October 18 — has been tipped to be heading into the jungle this year, a move that would make him the first member of the Royal Family to appear on ITV’s ‘I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here’. But Mike Tindall is no stranger to reality TV – he participated in the 2015 series of ‘Bear Grylls: Mission Survive’, a show that puts eight celebrities to the test on the fundamental principles of survival. The contestants undertook a voyage within the rainforests of Costa Rica and faced several challenges which pushed them to “their physical and emotional limits”. 

Mike got stuck into the adventure, seemingly facing no issue when forced to drink his own urine during the second episode. However, the sports star later sustained a painful injury that resulted in him being airlifted from the jungle. 

Bear Grylls, host of the show, told the Sun at the time: “He [Mike] got hit on the head pretty hard and gashed his forehead with wood…

“He was in hospital for half an hour and had stitches. They warned him it wasn’t going to be pretty and that he’d probably have a scar. We said he could be extracted and have it looked at properly.”

Adventurer Bear continued: “But he just wanted to get back to the jungle and get on with it.” 

He later admitted that he felt nervous about what Queen Elizabeth II might have to say about her granddaughter’s husband being injured. Bear said: “I was a little bit nervous that I might get beheaded!”

Mike received treatment and was able to return to the show; he endured the 12 days of tests and finished in the runner-up position, falling only behind DJ and model Vogue Williams. 

‘Mission Survive’ was not the 44-year-old’s first stint on reality TV; he had in fact competed in the second series of ‘The Jump’ — a celebrity winter sports show — just months earlier. 

Mike was beaten by former ‘The Only Way Is Essex’ star Joey Essex but the sportsman did impress viewers with how he handled a disaster on the slopes. Speaking to presenter Davina McCall after a tumble caused him to bang his head, he sarcastically quipped: “I thought I’d demonstrate how not to do the ski jump and how to land on your head.”

He went on to joke he was “face-planting the ice on purpose” in a bid to fix his famous broken nose. 

A year earlier, the royal appeared on ​​’Shark Cage’ which sees poker pros, celebrities and online qualifiers compete in a series of six heats, with each winner advancing to the final table and their share of a $1,000,000 (£880,000) prize pool. Discussing his experience on the show two years later, Mike said: “I lost a coin flip for a million dollars [on Shark Cage]. I got my butt kicked.”

Evidently a fan of poker, in 2005, Mike also appeared on ‘Celebrity Poker Club’ and ‘All Star Poker Challenge’. 

It is understood that Mike asked the late Queen Elizabeth II to appear on ‘The Jump’ and ‘Mission Survive’ back in 2015. However, according to a report in The Times, the same courtesy was not extended to King Charles III. 

DON’T MISS:
Harry ‘snubbed’ William’s offer of crisis talks ‘over leak fears’
King Charles to host South Africa’s Ramaphosa in first state visit
Thousands of messages sent to King Charles III after Queen’s death

The newspaper reported that he “did not seek permission” from the monarch to appear on ITV’s ‘I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!’

The publication went on to say the potential six-figure payout may mean Palace courtiers find it difficult to get Mike to change his decision.

ITV previously confirmed that the reality show was returning to Australia for the first time in two years, having been filmed in Gwrych Castle in north Wales during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

If Mike does appear on the show, he could be alongside singer Boy George, comedian Seann Walsh and DJ Chris Moyles, who have also been tipped to join the cast. 

A source told the newspaper: “It’s a massive coup. Mike has had a box seat for some of the most important moments in royal history for generations.

“He is sure to be discreet, but his sheer presence means this series will be an absolute must-watch.”

A spokesperson for the show said in a statement: “Any names suggested for ‘I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here!’ are just speculation.

“We’ll announce our lineup for the new series nearer its transmission.”

Source: Read Full Article