Mum wins thousands from council after toxic mushrooms grow in bedroom

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Mrs Balogun was replused when the mushrooms shooted from the floor of the property in Canning Town, east London. She was placed in the two-bedroom flat by Newham Council in 2019 but noticed problems with damp early into the tenancy.

Although the mum reported these to the authority, she eventually sought legal advice for housing disrepair.

Lawyers found that, over the two years, Mrs Balogun had sent multiple emails to Newham Council regarding concerns about a leaking roof, a missing door handle, which left her locked in her living room, and a defective shower cubicle which couldn’t hold water.

Most of these issues were not logged, the investigation found.

Newham Council has now admitted liability, reports Mirror.co.uk, and was told to pay £4,500 in compensation to the family.

Larissa Ellis, housing expert for High Street Solicitor which managed the case, said renters should always exercise their rights if their home is not fit for purpose.

She added: “No one should be living in such poor conditions in the 21st Century.

“This particular tenant had been ignored for a long period of time and was living with a dangerous amount of damp and mould in her bedroom, as well as multiple other issues.”

Express.co.uk and Mirror.co.uk have both contacted Newham Council for a comment.

Source: Read Full Article