‘No word’ Sadiq Khan SILENT after latest fatal stabbing of a teenager in London

Sadiq Khan grilled over systematic failures in policing

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Mr Khan – who is also the Police and Crime Commissioner for the capital – had not issued a tweet or press release about Tuesday afternoon’s stabbing as of 8am this morning. Hazrat Wali, 18, died in hospital after being attacked on a playing field in Twickenham at around 4.45pm Tuesday, the Metropolitan Police said.

A murder investigation has been launched and officers are appealing for witnesses.

Andrew Pierce, an LBC presenter, tweeted on Wednesday evening that there had been “no word” from the Mayor.

As of 7pm yesterday, there had been no arrests in relation to the stabbing.

Detective Chief Inspector Vicky Tunstall, from the Specialist Crime Command, said: “We are still working to establish the motive behind this tragic attack and are following a number of leads.

“Officers have recovered CCTV from the area and spoken to a number of witnesses who described seeing a fight in the moments before Hazrat was attacked.

“We know a lot of people were on the field at the time and I’d urge anyone who has not yet spoken to police to contact us immediately.”

Chief Superintendent Elisabeth Chapple, commander for policing in south-west London, added that the force’s “thoughts are with the young victim and his family at this awful time

“No young person should lose their life in London,” she said.

The stabbing of Mr Wali is the latest in a spate of attacks on teenagers across the capital of late.

On Sept. 9, a 19-year-old man was rushed to hospital after being stabbed in Paddington. His wounds were thought not to be life-threatening.

Detectives investigating the death of 16-year-old Stelios Averkiou in Tottenham have charged two teenagers with murder.

On August 1, Stelios Averkiou was found in the Lordship Recreation Ground in Haringey with a stab wound. He later died in hospital.

DON’T MISS
EU fury as Brussels Brexit plan poses ‘high risk’ of smuggled goods [INSIGHT]
French fisherman warn they will retaliate over Brexit fishing row [REACTION]
Princess Anne flies to Forres paying tribute to Scottish Covid heroes [REPORT]

A 16- and 17-year-old boy were charged with his murder.

In August, a woman was arrested in connection with the murder of Denardo Samuels-Brooks, 17, in Streatham.

On July 5, a 16-year-old was stabbed to death in Oval.

In late July, detectives made a fifth arrest concerning the murder of 16-year-old Camron Smith in Croydon.

At the start of October, three teenagers who attacked and fatally stabbed 17-year-old Anas Mezenner in Tottenham were jailed.

A 16-year-old was jailed in July for the fatal stabbing of Jamalie Maleek Deacon Matthew, 17, on November 12, 2020 in Wembley.

Police are also offering a reward for information about the fatal stabbing of Ahmed Yasin-Ali, 18, near the Harrow Road in July last year.

In October this year, two men were found guilty of the murder of Donnell Rhule, 18, in July 2020 in Dulwich.

In June, Mr Khan pledged to step up the police presence around London during the summer, “particularly in areas where there’s been a history of violent crime.

“You’ll be seeing surge activity in those areas and at the same time, the good news is we’re going to be giving young people even more constructive things to do to keep them busy during the summer.

The pledge from the London Mayor came after the Met warned the capital is “on track” to suffer the worst year for teenage killings in more than a decade if youth violence continues at the current rate.

Source: Read Full Article