Nottingham tier 3: What tier is Nottingham in at the moment?

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Greater Manchester is moving into tier 3 restrictions on Friday, October 23, the Prime Minister announced this week. Speaking at a Downing Street press briefing, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said “not to act now” would put the lives of Manchester’s residents “at risk”. South Yorkshire, Lancashire and the Liverpool City area have all moved into the highest restriction category.

What tier is Nottingham in at the moment?

As it stands, Nottingham is in Tier 2 restrictions.

This means households aren’t allowed to mix indoors, but the rule of six applies outdoors, with pubs, bars and restaurants remaining open.

However, the city is expected to head into Tier 3 very soon as talks begin with local authorities in the area.

Nottingham has the second highest rate of coronavirus in the country and is expected to move to Tier 3 alongside the Nottinghamshire boroughs of Broxtowe, Gedling and Rushcliffe.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said “discussions are under way” with local leaders in Nottingham regarding the upgrade to Tier 3.

Nottingham City Council tweeted: “Talks are ongoing between council leaders and Government about the current COVID-19 situation.

“Leaders continue to stress the need to protect the health and well-being of the population as well as local business leaders.

“Further updates will be provided as the talks progress.”

Speaking at the House of Commons, Mr Hancock also shed some light on progress being made in mass testing.

Lateral flow tests are now starting to be distributed to universities and schools.

This type of test is very helpful and practical because they don’t require a lab or machine to deliver the result.

Mr Hancock said “many millions” of test had been purchased and they would help “find the virus where it spreads and to reduce the disruption that virus control measures inevitably create”.

DON’T MISS
UK cities could face lockdown ‘within days’ after contact and trace [INSIGHT]
Covid fury: Police condemn ‘reckless’ party behaviour of students [REPORT]
Labour council leader blasted by BBC host over refusal of COVID funds [ANALYSIS]

However, the Labour Party disagreed, and argued some infections and deaths could have been avoided if the Government had followed SAGE advice and implemented a “circuit breaker” lockdown.

Shadow Health secretary Jonathan Ashworth said Mr Johnson should have “taken advantage of next week’s half term” to issue a national lockdown.

Mr Ashworth warned: “My worry is that the approach the Government are currently taking means that there will, by necessity, need to be tougher, deeper action in the weeks to come.”

The shadow Health Secretary added: “We are only in autumn, winter has not his us yet.” It comes as Stoke-on-Trent, Coventry and Slough will all move into Tier 2 restrictions.

The tier 2 changes will come into effect at 12.01am on Saturday, October 24, in the affected areas.

Announcing the changes, Mr Hancock said it would be “catastrophic” not to act and allow the virus to “unleash its full force”.

The Health Secretary said in all three of Stoke-on-Trent, Coventry and Slough, infections have risen to over 100 per 100,000 people and that cases are doubling every two weeks.

For the residents affected, Mr Hancock said “we’ll support you all the way through”, pointing to the additional financial aid announced by Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak.

Source: Read Full Article