Petrol station horror: Boy, 15, arrested after man killed in forecourt ‘attack’

Fuel crisis: Petrol chief tells drivers to buy 'normal' quantities

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

A 40-year-old, named as Thomas Mallaby by police, was attacked on the forecourt of a fuel station in the early hours of Sunday morning. The alleged serious assault took place at a petrol station in the village of Annfield Plain in County Durham

Cops rushed to the Esso garage site, located on Morrison Road at 2.40am following reports of an assault.

Following the incident, Mr Mallaby was taken to hospital due to his serious injuries.

The police said the 40-year-old died at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary on Tuesday afternoon as a result of the attack.

A 15-year-old boy was arrested in connection with the incident on Monday, County Durham Police said.

The teenager was held on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was reportedly questioned by officers from Durham Constabulary’s Major Crime Team before being released on bail while further enquiries are carried out by police.

Officers have said the attack is not connected “in any way” to the recent shortages of fuel, which have seen petrol forecourts being inundated with queues of motorists trying to get their hands on petrol and diesel amid a torrent of panic-buying that is sweeping across the UK.

The incident has been described as “tragic” by police, who say they are still investigating what happened.

Officers have reassured the community that they are not looking for any other suspects in relation to the incident.

Mr Mallaby’s wife and family are currently receiving support from specialist officers within the force, police said.

BBC licence fee payer ready to go to jail over paying broadcaster [REPORT] 
BBC ‘lags behind rivals on equality for women’, Ofcom report finds [INSIGHT] 
Fury at driver who admits to filling up despite having 3/4 full tank [REVEAL]

Detective Superintendent Dave Ashton who is leading the investigation said: “This was a truly tragic incident, and my thoughts are with the family and friends of Mr Mallaby following their devastating loss.

“We are working to establish exactly what happened, but I would like to reassure the community that we are not looking for anyone else in relation to this incident.

“Although the incident happened on the forecourt of a fuel station, I am keen to stress that it was not connected in any way to the current issues of fuel shortages.”

Source: Read Full Article