Police name suspected gas explosion victim after body found

House destroyed in huge explosion on Swansea street

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The man who died after becoming trapped in his home following a gas explosion in Swansea has been named. Brian Davies, 68, was killed in the blast on Monday, March 13, in Morrison. Mr Davies has been formally named by police after his body was found under rubble.

Tributes were paid to Mr Davies, who was described as “pleasant and chatty” after moving into the street more than two years ago.

Formal identification is expected to be carried out later today.

Sioned Williams, Member of the Senedd for the South Wales West region, said the man had been described locally as “very well liked” and “such a friendly person”.

She said: “He apparently used to sit outside on the step and talk to people in the street. A lot of people knew him and liked him.”

Another man has also been released from hospital following the explosion. It is understood he was a postman who was hit by debris while in his van outside.

Claire Griffiths, 49, and her son Ethan, 14, were also treated in hospital for injuries and shock after the tragedy.

Her partner Anthony Bennett returned to the family home today after visiting the pair in hospital with their injuries.

Anthony said schoolboy Ethan was very shaken up but “alive” after the massive explosion in Wales.

He said: “Ethan just remembers the explosion going and him being thrown up against the ceiling and hitting it. Next thing he knows he seems to be outside. Not sure if he lost consciousness or not. Part of the roof was under him and part of the roof was on top of him.

“The guy who lives a couple of doors down ran across to check on Claire and then he dragged Ethan out.

“My wife is okay, in a lot of pain, but she is okay. Ethan was discharged last night. He is very shook up and mentally he is struggling to cope, but he is alive.”

An investigation is underway to establish the cause of the incident. The Health and Safety Executive has been informed.

Don’t miss…
Student killed by uncle after refusing forced marriage [LATEST]
Death threats made against pair opposed to Diddly Squat expansions [LATEST]
Cats terrified as mystery attacker targets pets [LATEST]

One property was completely flattened on of Field Close and Clydach Road with Wales & West Utilities describing the structural damage as “severe”.

The National Grid’s website said 212 properties were without electricity but that was restored by 18:40 on Monday.

Swansea council leader Rob Stewart said about 100 people had been displaced.

The British Red Cross has sent a team of three to help and the council has set up a rest centre at Morriston Memorial Hall.

Source: Read Full Article