Police 'shot Derby knifeman dead after non-lethal attempts to stop him failed'

Armed officers who fatally shot a knifeman in a Derby car park had previously tried to stop him using batons, a Taser and stun grenade, the police watchdog has claimed.

Romanian national Marius Ciolac, 35, was killed last Friday morning after reports of a man with a knife smashing glass in the entrance door and windows of a police car park.

In an update on the incident, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) says a provisional port-mortem suggests he died from a single gunshot wound to the abdomen.

The IOPC said armed officers from Derbyshire Police were called by colleagues to Ascot Drive police station in Derby at 9.55am on Friday.

‘Attempts were made to stop him, including use of a multi-bang stun grenade, discharge of a baton round and a Taser, before a police firearm was discharged at about 10.03am’, the organisation said.

Mr Ciolac was given first aid by officers and paramedics at the scene, and taken to hospital in Nottingham, but died later that morning.

The IOPC said: ‘Three knives of various sizes were recovered from the scene.’


Eye-witnesses have claimed one was a ‘samurai-like sword’.

Mr Ciolac had no family in the UK, according to the watchdog, who said formal identification had yet to take place.

The round fired by officers will now be subject to ballistics tests, and a ‘large amount’ of body-worn video footage from responding police will also be studied by investigators.

IOPC regional director Derrick Campbell explained: ‘We have made contact with Mr Ciolac’s family in Romania and Italy to explain our role, and our heartfelt sympathies are with them and everyone else affected by this tragic incident.

‘A lot of rumour about the tragic events of Friday morning has been reported and while it is natural for people to want answers quickly about what happened, I would ask that people show patience and refrain from further speculation out of respect for Mr Ciolac’s family and for everyone involved.

‘We are committed to carrying out a full and thorough investigation of all the circumstances.’

He continued: ‘While there is still a lot of work to do, we have gathered initial accounts from the officers involved and other witnesses from the emergency services.

‘CCTV footage has been reviewed and we are gathering a large amount of police body-worn video.

‘We are also in the process of contacting members of the public identified as potential witnesses, who may be able to assist our inquiries.’

All police officers are currently being treated as witnesses, the IOPC added.

An inquest will follow in due course, but no opening hearing date has been confirmed.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Source: Read Full Article