Prince Charles angered Meghan Markle with Royal Family plan: ‘Took it personally’

Prince Charles thanks people for Palace to Palace participation

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Prince Charles is reportedly very keen to slim down the monarchy, leaving key roles only for those at the centre of The Firm. It is believed he wants to assemble a team of seven senior royals to cut costs and boost the monarchy’s popularity with the taxpayer. Royal biographer Angela Levin told talkRADIO this year that this is certainly the plan for the Prince of Wales.

She said he has wanted to trim down the monarchy “for a very long time” in order to “save costs and make people be worth the money that they get from the taxpayer”.

Ms Levin added that The Queen kept those on the “outer edge” of the family together for “sentimental reasons”, but believes Charles will prefer change.

However, Charles’s plans were not welcomed by Meghan Markle as she was concerned about what this would mean for her son Archie, royal author Robert Lacey wrote in his book “Battle of Brothers”.

In an excerpt, he wrote: “In pursuing his own cause of the slimmed-down monarchy, Prince Charles had been making noises about limiting the number of HRHs created by George V’s 1917 convention still further, thus cutting out Archie from his future prince-ship — and Meghan took that personally.”

He said the issue was a matter of Archie’s title and status but also concern over the safety and protection.

Mr Lacey said the Queen changed the rules of a 1917 convention by extending HRH status to all of Prince William’s children not just George, who in direct line of succession would automatically be given the title.

The author added: “No wonder Meghan cried foul.”

On top of this, a source told the Mail on Sunday: “Harry and Meghan were told Archie would never be a Prince, even when Charles became King.”

Mr Lacey then took on claims in the media about Charles and Meghan, claiming they didn’t tell the whole story.

He continued: “The media explanation of why Charles had stopped taking Harry’s calls was all about money — the long-suffering father was apparently tired of being ‘treated like a cash dispenser,’ as one royal source put it, but there were more profound issues at stake.”

The issue of Archie’s title was also addressed by Meghan and Harry in their interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this year, as well as Harry’s relationship with Charles.

DON’T MISS
Prince William felt ‘it was right’ to remove Andrew from duties [INSIGHT]
Prince William accused Prince Harry of putting ‘fame before family’ [ANALYSIS]
Prince Harry’s memoir will leave ‘no member of Royal Family unscathed [INSIGHT]

During the interview, the Duke of Sussex claimed that his father blanked him before the 36-year-old’s decision to quit the royal family.

The prince told how, during his time in Canada, his dad wouldn’t answer his calls during the split from the family.

While the father and son are now back on speaking terms, Harry said he felt “let down” by his father and the pair have a lot to work through as “a lot of hurt has happened”.

Harry added: “Of course I will always love him but there’s a lot of hurt that’s happened and I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try and heal that.”

Source: Read Full Article