Prince Harry’s ‘break’ could ‘heal’ family relations says Junor
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Duke of Sussex will donate the huge sum to Sentebale, which helps vulnerable children in southern Africa affected by extreme poverty, inequality, and the HIV/Aids epidemic. The Royal Family is bracing for Harry’s bombshell book, which is set to be released next year.
Harry announced his donation as he took part in a polo match for Sentebale on Thursday.
The Duke, who is living in California with Meghan Markle after quitting royal duties, competed in the Sentebale ISPS Handa Polo Cup in Aspen, Colorado.
Harry said in a statement that his donation was one of several he planned to make to charitable organisations.
He said: “Our refocused mission at Sentebale is about addressing the most-immediate needs of vulnerable children in southern Africa, helping them access vital health services, receive necessary care, and build skills to be more resilient and self-sufficient in the future.”
Harry thanked sponsors and those who had helped to make the tournament Covid-safe.
The Duke added: “The Sentebale Polo Cup is critical to securing the funds needed to advance this important mission, and I’m thrilled to be able to support Sentebale, both in person and financially through a separate charitable donation to meet this immediate need.
“This is one of several donations I plan to make to charitable organisations and I’m grateful to be able to give back in this way for the children and communities who gravely need it.”
Sentebale said Harry, who co-founded the charity in Lesotho in 2006 in memory of his late mother Princess Diana, stepped in with his donation as the match was its single largest fundraising opportunity and its postponement last year left the charity in need of further support.
It said: “Because last year’s Polo Cup was postponed and this year’s was significantly and rightfully reduced in size and scope, the organisation is in need of further support to continue its mission.
“To help meet this need, the duke is donating his time as well as honouring his personal commitment to donate a portion of his proceeds from his upcoming memoir by generously committing 1.5 million dollars to Sentebale.
“Sentebale is grateful for his personal contribution, which will allow the organisation to continue operating at full scale and continue providing critical services to at-risk youth in southern Africa.”
Harry and Meghan found leaving royal roles ‘harder than ever imagined’ [INSIGHT]
Harry’s US popularity issued damning blow as Americans give verdict [ANALYSIS]
Prince Charles ‘in the firing line’ over Prince Harry ‘mistakes’ [VIDEO]
Harry’s memoir is set to be published by Penguin Random House in 2022.
The Duke insisted he was penning the book “not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become”.
He said: “I’m writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become.
“I’ve worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story – the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned – I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think.
“I’m deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I’ve learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a first hand account of my life that’s accurate and wholly truthful.”
The Royal Family are likely to be bracing for fresh revelations following Harry and Meghan’s controversial Oprah Winfrey interview in March.
Source: Read Full Article