King Charles seen for first time since Spare released
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Prince Harry has “crossed Charles’ red line” with his recent television attacks on the Queen Consort, Camilla, an insider has said. The Duke of Sussex appeared on US television on Sunday and called Camilla a “villain” who was “in bed with the devil” – the title Harry gives the press. Before the interviews and the release of his memoir Spare last week, King Charles had warned that if Harry “trashes” Camilla, the King could “pull the plug”.
Appearing on CBS on Sunday evening, Harry, 38, left his father King Charles unscathed but went after Camilla. He claimed she “sacrificed” him to improve her public image.
The Duke of Sussex said the Queen Consort traded information with the press as she tried to win favourability for her affair with Charles. She even leaked her first meeting with Prince William, according to Harry.
As a result, royal experts and insiders think Harry has “crossed” Charles’ line, and could lose his and Meghan’s invite to the coronation.
Talking about Harry’s CBS interview, an insider reportedly told the Sun that while Harry spared Charles, this has “very little currency” because of his attack on Camilla.
They said: “His wife was his red line and Harry knew that before he sat down for these interviews.
The insider argued Harry’s claims about leaking “don’t stand up to scrutiny” because Camilla did not leak her meeting with William.
They emphasised that the palace is loyal to Camilla and said it will “go down like a lead balloon”.
Earlier this month, an unnamed insider told the Sun: “Camilla is Charles’s red line. If Harry trashes her then Charles could pull the plug, and Harry knows that.”
In his memoir Spare, which is published today (January 10), Harry described Camilla as the “wicked stepmother” although he said him and William eventually warmed to her.
Last week, royal commentators were shocked by Harry’s comments in Spare, translated from a Spanish version of the book which was released early. But at the time, many refused to believe Harry had crossed the line.
Victoria Arbiter, daughter of Dickie Arbiter – the late Queen’s former press secretary – told Express.co.uk: “From what we’ve seen on his comments regarding the Queen Consort so far, I don’t think he’s crossed the line or past the point of no return.”
But since the CBS interview, some experts agree with the insider that it is now clear Harry has crossed the line.
Royal author Phil Dampier said: “The King has always made it clear that the one thing he wouldn’t tolerate was criticism of Camilla, Prince Harry has crossed a red line with a cruel attack on the Queen Consort that has scuppered any hopes of a reconciliation with his father.”
In his interview, Harry said: “She [Camilla] was the third person in their marriage. She needed to rehabilitate her image.
“That made her dangerous because of the connections that she was forging within the British press.
“And there was open willingness on both sides to trade information.
“And with a family built on hierarchy, and with her, on the way to being Queen Consort, there was gonna be people or bodies left in the street because of that.”
It is unclear how King Charles will react to the comments, although experts believe he is unlikely to respond publicly.
Cameron Walker, royal correspondent for GBNews told Express.co.uk before the CBS interview: “If Camilla really is Charles’ ‘red line’, I suspect any consequences will be dealt with by Buckingham Palace privately to risk adding further fuel to the fire.”
“However, it appears the publication of private conversations with his family has become second nature to Prince Harry.”
“This could continue to be a big headache for Buckingham Palace.”
Source: Read Full Article