Prince Harry says service should be done ‘in quiet’ after Remembrance Day ‘PR stunt’

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Prince Harry took part in the virtual fundraising event Stand Up for Heroes in support of injured veterans and their families. The Duke of Sussex said the 10 years he spent serving in the military had “changed his life forever and for the better”.

He added: “As far as I see it, service is what happens in the quiet and in the chaos.

“It’s what happens when people aren’t looking and it’s how we take care of each other every single day.”

It comes days after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were criticised for releasing pictures of their LA Remembrance Day service last week.

Royal watchers called the move a “publicity stunt” which “backfired”.

Royal biographer Ingrid Seward wrote in The Sun: “The Sussex’s wanted it to look like they cared, which I am sure they did.

“But it backfired and looked like what it was – a publicity stunt.”

Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan also blasted the Sussexes’ photographs as a “distasteful PR stunt”.

He believed the pictures were designed to get back to Buckingham Palace after it reportedly refused Prince Harry’s request to lay a wreath on his behalf at the Royal Family’s Remembrance service.

Mr Morgan tweeted: “Just outrageous – treating Remembrance Sunday like a PR opportunity, & trying to steal headlines from the real royals doing their duty back home.”

The Queen was reportedly not told about Prince Harry’s request.

His request was refused on the basis that the Duke of Sussex no longer represents the monarchy, according to The Times.

During the couple’s private service, Prince Harry wore his military medals and laid a wreath which read: “To all of those who have served, and are serving. Thank you.”

DON’T MISS
Prince Harry demands Netflix series The Crown does NOT cover him [UPDATE]
Prince Harry under fire over controversial Netflix deal [INSIGHT]
Prince Harry ‘humble and kind’ when caught volunteering [PICTURES]

The Sussexes were blasted for hiring a celebrity fashion photographer, Lee Morgan, to capture their private service.

Mr Morgan tweeted: “There’s something really quite tasteless about Prince Harry and Meghan at a cemetery in California, with a photographer that just happened to be there, to make sure they can get in on the action too.”

The Sussexes stepped down as senior members of the Royal Family earlier this year.

Prince Harry’s role is expected to be examined in March as part of the monarchy’s 12-month review of the couple’s departure agreements.

During Wednesday’s fundraising event, Prince Harry said he would always be part of the military team.

He said: “My experience in the military made me who I am today – and it also connected me with some of the strongest, funniest and most memorable people I’ve ever met.

“Once we join this team, we are always part of this team. Once we’ve served, we are always serving, and proudly so.”

Prince Harry also spoke about his Invictus Games competition for injured servicemen and women.

He said: “I wanted to honour the legacy of these men and women who have given up so much – from time with family to birthdays missed and even births missed.

“Some lost their limbs and others lost their lives. It’s for that reason that I created the Invictus Games – to give injured servicemen and women a platform to excel and reaffirm their values of resilience, of community and strength, which are inherent in each and every one of us.”

Source: Read Full Article