Prince Harry set for key appearance as guest of honour in New York

Prince Harry defended by Rae following military uniform ban

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The Duke of Sussex, 37, will be the guest of honour at the Salute to Freedom Gala, hosted at New York’s Intrepid Museum, the day before the US celebrate Veterans Day. The gala “recognises extraordinary leadership and honours the brave men and women who serve in defence of our nation”.

Singer Jon Bon Jovi will support Harry at the gala, following several charity collaborations together, organised in support of military personnel.

This includes the Invictus Games, an event spearheaded by the Duke of Sussex since 2014 for wounded servicemen and women.

However, Harry will not be permitted to wear his military uniform while bestowing the medals.

The Duke of Sussex spent a decade in the military, and served two tours in Afghanistan.

In February, Harry lost his honorary military appointments after confirmation to the Queen that he would step back from duties as a senior working royal.

Buckingham Palace said that the Queen had told her grandson that “in stepping away from the work of the royal family, it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.”

Last year, Harry requested to have a wreath laid at the Cenotaph on his behalf – a petition which was denied by Buckingham Palace.

His grandmother, the Queen, still “intends” to head up the Royal Family’s tributes at the Cenotaph in Whitehall on Remembrance Day on Sunday, despite recent cancellations to her royal engagements.

Remembrance Day, which falls on November 11, will be a Thursday this year – but official commemoration takes place on the closest Sunday to that date.

Remembrance Day marks what was “Armistice Day”, or November 11, 1918 – the day an armistice agreement was agreed to end World War One.

The observance of this day, including a brief period of reflective silence, has taken on a wider significance of remembering those lost to war – not just World War One.

On Saturday night, prominent royals will also attend the Royal British Legion’s Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.

DON’T MISS: 
Brexit LIVE: Boris playing ‘very, very dangerous game’ [LIVE] 
UK’s carbon emissions MAP: Satellite images expose scale of ‘damage’ [MAP] 
Boris Johnson POLL: Should Liz Truss be Britain’s next PM? [POLL] 

Members of the Royal Family also tend to be present at events to mark the event each year, including the opening of the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey.

If she is able to do so, the Queen is planning to lead the Royal Family’s observance on Sunday.

However, she will not be present at the Royal Albert Hall alongside other senior royals on Saturday.

Roya Nikkhah, Royal Editor at The Times, writes: “The Queen, 95, intends to lead the royal family’s tributes at the Cenotaph on Sunday, in what is expected to be her first public engagement after several weeks of rest on medical advice.

“Most senior members of the royal family, except the Queen, will also attend the Royal British Legion’s Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday night.”

If she attends, this will be her first outing in weeks, following the cancellation of trips across the UK.

Source: Read Full Article