Prince Philip funeral: Who can go to funerals? What does lockdown mean for Duke’s funeral?

Prince Philip ‘entrusted Edward with his greatest legacy’ says expert

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Prince Philip, the lifelong companion of the Queen, has died, Buckingham Palace has confirmed. The Duke of Edinburgh was aged 99 when he died at Windsor Castle on the morning of Friday, April 9. Prince Philip was “intimately involved” in his own funeral plans, according to royal sources, with the Queen’s husband wanting his military achievements and conservation efforts to be reflected at his funeral.

Prince Philip died on Friday, April 9, according to Buckingham Palace.

He passed away aged 99, just two months away from his 100th birthday.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.”

The Duke of Edinburgh is the longest-serving consort in British history.

He attended hospital in mid-February where he remained for a month.

Prince Philip was first admitted due to an infection and later underwent heart surgery for a pre-existing condition.

The palace added: “The Royal Family joins with people around the world in mourning his loss.”

The last senior member of the Royal Family to die was Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

She died on March 30, 2002, aged 101, and her funeral took place on April 9.

The official ceremony of Queen Mother’s funeral took place in Westminster Abbey.

An estimated 200,000 people filed past over three days as she lay in state in Westminster Hall at the Palace of Westminster, with more than 2,000 people attending the funeral as guests.

DON’T MISS
Prince Philip funeral details LEAKED on No10 website in blunder [INSIGHT]
Joe Biden shamed as President takes HOURS to honour Prince Philip [EXPLAINER]
Ruth Langsford slams viewer who said she was ‘vile’ to Eamonn [VIDEO]

What are the current rules related to funerals? How many can attend a funeral?

Prince Philip’s funeral is unlikely to be undertaken in the same way as normal royal funerals due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Currently, funerals can be attended by a maximum of 30 people, with up to 15 attendees permitted at commemorative events, such as wakes.

These rules will remain in place, despite more lockdown easing due to come into force on Monday, April 12.

The rules regarding funerals will not change until at least May 17, with up to 30 attendees permitted to attend wakes from that time.

While restrictions remain in effect, many elements of the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral will likely be affected.

The public elements of this farewell will likely not be able to take place as they typically would.

Detailed plans for Prince Philip’s funeral had previously been drawn up in an operation codenamed Forth Bridge.

Prince Philip will, however, likely be given a royal funeral in line with his wishes according to sources.

CNN anchor and royal correspondent Max Foster said: “They can’t have the processions through London.

“They can’t have floral memorials, because they don’t want to encourage crowds.

“So what I think will happen — what I assume will happen at this point — is the body will be kept at Windsor Castle.

“Staff and family will be able to pay their respects over the next few days and then they’ll try to come up with some sort of Covid-ready plan for a funeral, which will take place at Windsor Castle.”

A royal ceremonial funeral with full military honours is expected to take place in 10 days’ time, although coronavirus restrictions will now alter some of those arrangements.

Buckingham Palace insiders believe the Duke of Edinburgh wanted a “low-key” funeral ceremony at St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, where he will be laid to rest.

Before the pandemic, an estimated 800 mourners were expected to be invited to the funeral.

These guests were due to be selected from the Duke’s military units, the charities of which he was patron and people associated with the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme.

Source: Read Full Article