Prince Philip ‘cancelled’ Queen Victoria tradition says Jobson
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Prince Philip “cancelled” a tradition that had started with Queen Victoria when he found out the background, a royal biographer has claimed. Robert Jobson joined the ABC’s HeirPod to discuss the Duke of Edinburgh’s legacy and impact on the monarchy. He used the “ridiculous” Queen Victoria tradition as an example of the late royal’s annoyance at “outdated” rules.
Mr Jobson told listeners: “[Philip] was determined to modernise things inside the Palace.
“He was the person that brought the television cameras into the coronation ceremony.
“He was the person that really wanted to conduct the first TV interviews, and did so.
“He was a great believer in science and technology.”
He continued: “So he was someone who really did want to change the way things were done.
“There’s a story that when Queen Victoria had a cold she ordered a bottle of whisky.
“And from that moment onward the bottle of whisky would appear at the Queen’s bedside.
“He wondered why this bottle of whiskey kept appearing.”
Prince Philip: Dean Stott discusses relationship with Prince Harry
The royal biographer added: “He found out that it was because of this thing with Queen Victoria, and he cancelled it.
“He found some of the things completely ridiculous and outdated.
“The Queen had to sort of temper that, that enthusiasm to change things.”
Prince Charles to inherit Duke of Edinburgh first ahead of Edward [INSIGHT]
‘B******s murdered half my family’ Prince Philip remembered with jab [VIDEO]
Prince Philip funeral: Why one UK flag will not fly half-mast [EXPLAINER]
Last week Buckingham Palace announced that the Duke had died on the morning of April 9.
His funeral is due to take place on Saturday, April 17 at St George’s Chapel, Windsor.
It will not be a state funeral, as per his personal requests.
Instead the ceremony will be televised and a National Minute’s Silence will be held at 3pm.
Only 30 people will be able to attend in person due to coronavirus laws.
Source: Read Full Article