Prince William ‘protected’ Kate over fears of Meghan and Harry interview backlash

Prince William 'angry' about Oprah Winfrey interview says expert

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

William was the first royal to speak publicly about Meghan and Harry’s claims one unnamed member of the family had raised “concerns” about how dark their son Archie’s skin might be. He denied the Royal Family was racist during a visit to a school in Stratford, east London last week, while Kate remained silent and walked on. Royal biographer Angela Levin claimed William was not originally meant to accompany Kate on the visit, but he felt the need to “protect” his wife from uncomfortable questions about the interview.

She wrote in the Sunday Telegraph: “We saw last week how William supports his wife in return.

“It is believed that the couple’s visit to an East London primary school was originally a solo engagement for Catherine.

“William went along to protect her from questions over Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey, and the resulting accusations of racism in the Royal Family – which he furiously dismissed.”

On a visit to a school in east London, William said he had not talked to Harry since the interview was aired.

He said: “I haven’t spoken to him yet but I will do.”

When asked by a reporter if the Royal Family was racist, William added: “We’re very much not a racist family.”

His comments came after Meghan said that while she was pregnant with Archie there were “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born” during an interview with Oprah last week.

Oprah later clarified that Harry had told her it was not the Queen or her 99-year-old husband Prince Philip who made the remark.

Harry said during the interview: “That conversation, I’m never going to share. But at the time, it was awkward. I was a bit shocked.”

Kate also came under fire from Meghan after she said reports she made Kate cry shortly before her 2018 wedding were untrue.

Meghan said the “reverse” happened as she was the one who got upset, but added she did not want to be “disparaging to anyone” and claimed Kate “owned it” and apologised with flowers and a note “to take accountability”.

Despite the recent backlash, Ms Levin praised William for his “permanent commitment” to Kate over the years after they met as teenagers as he avoided making the same “mistakes as his parents” by picking a “disastrous match”.

DON’T MISS
Royal Family LIVE: Palace inquiry over Meghan ‘bullying’ claim [LIVE UPDATES]
Prince George, Charlotte and Louis make cards for ‘Granny Diana’ [PICTURES]
Ann Widdecombe delivers scathing rebuke of Prince Harry [VIDEO]

She wrote: “As heir, William will have felt the pressure to think even harder about the woman he married.

“Even as a teenager, he realised how essential it was not to make a disastrous match both for himself and the Royal Family, and not to repeat the mistakes of his parents.

“Instead of going to Cambridge like his father, he took the opportunity to find out for himself what it was like to be an ordinary student.

“At St Andrews, he decided to live in a hall of residence. It made it easy to chat to a girl called Kate Middleton, who came from a stable middle-class family, had a positive attitude to life and a room close to the prince’s.

“They walked together to and from their lectures and in 2002, he watched her sashay down a catwalk in a see-through black dress.

“Kate introduced him to her parents, and William felt relaxed; part of a solid, caring family. They briefly separated in 2007 during which time Kate didn’t betray his trust.

“Two years later, they were in Anglesey, Wales where Kate shopped at the local Waitrose, and the couple enjoyed living under the radar as William trained for the RAF.

“After eight years together, William decided to make a permanent commitment. The rest is history.”

Buckingham Palace issued a rare statement in response to Meghan and Harry’s interview by promising to “address” the “concerning” allegations, particularly the claims another royal had raised “concerns” about Archie’s skin colour before he was born.

Source: Read Full Article