Princess Charlene ‘burst into tears’ after marriage to Prince Albert: ‘Overwhelming’

Princess Charlene celebrates 10th wedding anniversary in July

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The 43-year-old royal returned to Monaco this month from South Africa after her prolonged battle with an illness. Upon her arrival, the Princess said she was “happy” to be reunited with Albert, 63, and their twins Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella, both six. After returning to Monaco, Charlene was admitted to a facility outside the principality for treatment. Albert revealed last week that his wife had suffered “exhaustion, both emotional and physical”.

Her treatment is expected to last for several weeks, Monaco’s Sovereign prince told People magazine.

During Charlene’s six-month stay in South Africa, she received several corrective surgeries after being struck down by an ear nose and throat infection.

The Princess’s stay outside Monaco meant that she missed her and Albert’s 10-year wedding anniversary in June.

The couple have both denied reports that their marriage is in trouble and that Charlene’s health issues are due to personal issues between the couple.

Charlene has denied reports of relationship problems before, revealing how such claims “overwhelmed” her on her wedding day as she “burst into tears”.

JUST IN: Meghan Markle’s awkward moment with Gary Barlow after she thought he joked – ‘Serious!

Speaking to the Sunday Times in 2013, the Princess laid bare why she wept as she tied the knot with Albert two years earlier.

She said: “Everything was just so overwhelming and there were all the mixed emotions because of the rumours.

“Obviously all this tension built up and I burst into tears [immediately after the ceremony].

“And then I burst into tears some more because I was thinking, ‘Oh no, now the whole world has seen me cry’.”

Ahead of the royal nuptials a swirl of reports had claimed that Charlene had been a “runaway bride”.

French weekly newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche had reported that the Princess had tried to flee Monaco on three occasions before the wedding.

The publication reported that she had retreated to the South African embassy in Paris, where she was getting fitted for her wedding dress.

She was also said to have tried to flee during the Monaco Grand Prix and was allegedly prevented from getting into a helicopter on another occasion.

Charlene has denied the reports, dubbing them “categorical lies”.

Charlene also opened up about her happy memories of her and Albert’s time as newlyweds.

DON’T MISS: 
Prince William and Kate Middleton could welcome York sister as new neighbour [LATEST]
Kate and Prince William tipped for ‘bump in the road’ when Prince Charles King [INSIGHT]
Queen ‘can’t stand’ Kate Middleton and Prince William’s habit with royal children [ANALYSIS]

She said: “It was such a wonderful three days.

“Even months afterwards I would get flashbacks and think, ‘Oh, my goodness, did I really have the Eagles playing at my wedding?’ I think back and wonder how we managed to pull it off.”

This week Page Six reported that Charlene had “almost died” during her spell in South Africa.

The news site said it had spoken to friends of the Princess, who said Monaco’s Royal Family had downplayed how bad her condition really is.

One source told the outlet: “It is unfair that she is being portrayed as having some kind of mental or emotional issue.

“We don’t know why the palace is downplaying that she almost died in South Africa.”

Source: Read Full Article